These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Get_iplayer and Windows 10 anyone?

Pages: 1 2 3

user-506

Hi,
  I am holding off installing Windows 10 in case it gives problems with running get_iplayer and the web pvr v2.94.
 I have recently updated the Windows set up with the latest installer but on Windows 8.1.
Has anyone tried these applications with Windows 10 and what have you found?

Regards,
   Chris

user-570

Working fine for me in the first 3 days of using Get_iPlayer pvr 2.94 on Win10.

user-987

I've not managed to get it to work since migrating to Windows 10.  I just get a popup "Perl interpreter has stopped working".

I tried re-installing, but that didn't help. "has stopped working" doesn't help much either, it has to be said. 

I've been plagued by these "has stopped working" popups since installing Windows 10.

user-570

I'm notoriously wary of OS upgrades ... both from a trust point of view, and the "if it ain't broke ..." point of view - and hung in with 7 after the briefest of glances at the original incarnation of 8, almost worried that I'd never move forward from 7.

I have to say, not a single complaint about 10 ... and I'm close to saying that I prefer it to 7.

On upgrade my AVG scanning of emails failed, and refused to configure correctly. This forced me back to a pre-upgrade image I'd taken and there were no problems with the second attempt at the upgrade.

Since ... only had one issue, and that was with Oracle VirtualBox ... one of those inconsistent issues that appears when you don't expect it and doesn't (always) appear when you repeat what you thought caused the issue before, types.

As far as Get_iPlayer (and everything else clogging up my aging laptop) it continues to work well.

user-506

Thanks OzoneVibe and Swifty for taking the time to respond. If you find out how to fix the Perl interpreter issue please let me know as it may not be Windows related.

Regards,
  Chris

user-987

I'm getting "xxxx has stopped working" from several different programs.  My guess (and it's no more than that) is that I have some commonly used old DLL somewhere in my PATH, and it's causing various apps to fail.

So, Get_Iplayer doesn't work (Perl fails). Perl itself doesn't work. I often get "Windows Command Process has failed" - when starting Chrome Desktop Applications for example.

Unfortunately, just saying that some process has "stopped working" is not going to get me any closer to finding out WHY it has stopped working.

user-506

Thanks Swifty. Have you tried posting this problem on a more general page of this forum?
I would bet someone else has had a similar problem if its not just get_iplayer related.
Regards,
Chris

user-987

I've posted on one or two Windows 10 related forums, but not much response yet.

If I get desperate, I'll try my standard approach; I'll say that it's unlikely that anyone knows the cause of my problem. When you make a statement like that, people fall over themselves to prove you wrong. However, if they succeed in proving you wrong, you get your problem solved as a by-product!

user-570

I now have all three of my computers running Win10, and even my computer illiterate brother has managed to upgrade - all 4 also have Get_iPlayer - all 4 are working just fine.

Have you considered the possibility that there was a problem with your Win10 installation?
Might be worth rolling back to Win7/8.1 and re-upgrading to Win10?

user-506

Great news OzoneVibe. I have not yet done the Win 10 upgrade. I wanted to get some feedback from other get_iplayer users on their experiences. I am re-assured now so I will go ahead and upgrade. Thanks for your help with this, much appreciated. I see that MS gives me a month from the date of installing Win 10 to do an easy roll back if necessary so everything is good to go.

Regards,
Chris

user-570

Yes - Win10 does provide a roll-back. Not that I've tried it.
I still tend to rely upon a proper disc image ... Norton Ghost / Clonezilla style. I know exactly what I'm getting with those.
And - if you need to roll back, it probably means MS's "roll-forward" didn't quite work ... so I become sceptical of their roll-back. LOL! #OldSchool :p

user-506

I will take an Acronis image as well before upgrading. Belts and braces rule!

user-21

it seems to be working although I have noticed today that the podcast feed is not downloading, it could be a coincidence of course.

user-570

Ha ... more chance that "the BBC have changed something". :p

user-747

i upgraded to windows 10 a few days ago and i have been having issues, it works but i have had Kmode crashes and had to restart my PC, also it takes an age for the software to marry the files togther at the end of the downloading process. It has also crashed the PC on closing down the software. maybe its just my machine but that my expience so far. I have just done a fresh install on another drive so I'll be moving to that over the following few days so i will try to report back.

user-506

Thanks all. I upgraded to Windows 10 5 days ago and Get_iplayer is working exactly as before either running from the PVR, running manually from the system prompt or scheduled automated runs.

I have not had to re-install or do anything, it just works. Windows backup is another matter......

Regards,
   Chris

user-21

(17-08-2015, 01:06 PM)Thanks all. I upgraded to Windows 10 5 days ago and Get_iplayer is working exactly as before either running from the PVR, running manually from the system prompt or scheduled automated runs.

I have not had to re-install or do anything, it just works. Windows backup is another matter......

Regards,
   Chris

yes I have had no luck with windows file backup either.

user-747

I wanted to follow up my above post. I originally did an upgrade from Windows 7 and experienced Kmode issues. Get_Iplayer worked but as soon as i tried to close the program the PC crashed. Last Night I did a complete clean install of Windows 10 and Get_Iplayer and it all works perfectly.

user-525

Same issue as 'Swifty' tried re-installing both Windows 10 & Get_Iplayer but still the same..

user-763

Have you tried running sfc /scannow from an Administrator command window...I had one Windows 10 build that threw up lots of strange issues-see this thread /thread-516.html.
Running the above command seemed to sort a lot of it out. However the manual fix of associating perl with the perl scripts seemed the most important.
I did another clean install with Windows 10 (on another system) and had no issues with perl and get_iplayer at all. Go figure eh?
Pages: 1 2 3

These forums are archived

See this post for further info