These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Get_iplayer and Windows 10 anyone?

Pages: 1 2 3

user-525

Thank you, I think I'm getting in over my head with all that.. I may just do a complete system restore.... & hope for the best :D

user-2

@user-763: The problem @Swifty described (perl dying) would appear to be quite different from the issue in the other thread you referenced (perl unable to load DLLs).  And in that other thread you said that associating .dll with perl.exe cured your problem, but are you now saying that associating .pl with perl.exe is the solution?  Or both? I still can't wrap my head around either one.  The latter would only be necessary to invoke .pl files directly, which get_iplayer doesn't do, and the former still seems daft to me.  Perhaps tweaking file associations has some benevolent side effect if permissions are out of whack or something like that. Who knows what lurks in the dark heart of the Windows registry? 

All that notwithstanding, I encourage everyone to post any workarounds you might come up with for such issues, no matter how strange.  I have tested get_iplayer on a clean Windows 10 installation and it worked perfectly, and it seems to work fine for most people, so I don't plan to test it again for future releases unless someone finds a reproducible problem unique to Windows 10. However, it's clear that there are problems unique to certain systems, or perhaps certain upgrade paths, and any workarounds would be useful to collect here.

user-747

think your right Dinky, i would be interested to see how many are affected by an upgrade and then a clean install, my upgrade didn't wrk. a clean install worked for me.... yes its a lot of work but i think worth it as i love Get Iplayer

user-763

@user-2 -apologies for the sloppy post. I did not mean associate perl.exe with the .pl but with the .dll (even though that is what I wrote...)
I absolutely agree that the fix makes no sense at all, which is why I would recommend running sfc /scannow. 
Running sfc fixed a whole lot more problems I was having with that particular build (even Outlook wouldn't connect ffs). 
Since running sfc I have not had any further issues with any installed software on that build.
I have done other clean builds of Windows 10 and encountered no issues with get_iplayer so I really don't believe any further investigation by yourself is warranted. 
If issues are encountered with Windows 10 it will be due to problems either with the upgrade or install. 
sfc is the Microsoft tool provided to resolve inconsistencies and corruption of the operating system.

PS I am assuming that anyone running system tools like sfc has taken a full image BACKUP prior to commencing!
(Macrium Reflect is very good for this purpose and free for home use).

user-525

The work around I used was.. when the perl error came up the blue search bar came up that Windows was searching online for a fix (sorry I'm totally not helpful) and it would say cancel... don't touch it.. then it will say close after running for a while.. close it & it would some how then allow for the last line of get_iplayer on the cmd to show up... it would do this when first opened & again when the program has finished downloading... after clicking 'close' then it all works fine before clicking close the last part of the get_iplayer script is missing and is useless.

I can't be more helpful because I'm currently now waiting for Windows 10 after a complete system reinstall I'll update when I have it & have re-download the program..

Running on an HP. I5

user-2

@user-525: Your description suggests you should follow @user-763's advice to run sfc /scannow. It's unfortunate if an upgrade leaves you with duff system libraries, but that is what sfc /scannow is for.

user-1034

Since I have updated to Windows 10 I have not been able to download recordings.

When I click on my old shortcut C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --search dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd --help

Instead of firing up IE11 it just runs a dos box which updates all the programmes available but doesn't launch the PVR in either Edge or IE11.

I am wondering if the installation program has changed the shortcut. I have tried a reinstall of get_iplayer but it is still not working as it used to. Not seen this problem described elsewhere.

user-2

That command would never launch IE11. It's for the CLI, and it should be clearly labelled by the installer as Get_iPlayer, not Web PVR Manager. If you copied it yourself, then you must have mislabelled it.  Find the get_iplayer folder in start menu and use the web pvr menu item there. And BTW, you can download programmes just fine from the command prompt. Don't fear the DOS box.

user-1034

Many thanks - that has solved my problem, although as I say I didn't change the shortcut after upgrading so not sure what happened there.

user-1035

Hi, 
Been using get_iplayer successfully on PC running Vista for a while now. PC give up the ghost so got new laptop running Windows 10 64-bit.
Installed get_iplayer, but when I open it I get the get_iplayer window and this error message window: [Attached]

perl.exe - Application error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.

Any ideas. Is it a Windows 10 issue, or am I doing something completely wrong?

I downloaded and installed all the options.

Thanks

user-2

Windows 10 issue.  Search the forums for "Windows 10" and google the error message for suggestions.  Could be as simple as running sfc /scannow as administrator, but you need to decide that for yourself.

user-1035

I ran sfc /scannow without success.
I'm afraid that, not being computer savvy/confident, all the different suggestions on the forum/web for this issue go over my head.
Just for info for any others I've attached a screenshot of the result of the sfc /scannow.

Cheers

PS: I tried running perl.exe in win7 and Vista compatibility modes with no luck.

user-2

Too bad. It was worth a shot.

I'm going to merge this thread with the earlier Windows 10 thread. I suggest you post there to see if it attracts the attention of a user who may have had a similar experience. get_iplayer runs fine on a clean Windows 10 system, so this problem is unique to your system, or perhaps unique to the way Windows 10 was installed. It sounds like you got it pre-installed, so there is no way for you to know where a problem may have crept in. If there is some problem on Windows 10 with the version of Perl distributed with get_iplayer, someone who a) can reproduce the problem; and b) has the tools and know-how to track it down will have to step in. I haven't been able to reproduce any of the reports.

user-1053

It used to work on my Windows 10 system but today when I try I get the same "The application was unable to start correctly...". As far as I know I haven't changed a thing!? Looks like it's perl.exe which doesn't start correctly.

Weird, I've used it before on the exact same system and it worked fine...

EDIT: Reinstalled but no change, rebooted and now it works again... very weird!

user-1035

Something strange is going on.
I googled the error message and found no end of possible solutions, so contacted Microsoft support via chat.
They didn't seem to have much idea - just blamed get_iplayer, but they tried 2 things:
1. Created a new user account to try and load get_iplayer on that. They couldn't get get_iplayer to load to the new account so just deleted the new account.
2. They then said it was a corrupt W10 install, so started to download W10 to reinstall. It was getting late so they abandoned the download and gave me instructions how to do it later.

So essentially nothing changed on my laptop, but next day get_iplayer worked. [I hadn't/haven't reinstalled W10].
So I've no idea what happened. Maybe it had nothing to do with the support session and it's same experience as ajp2k15 - it just happened, or they did change something and it without them knowing it 'accidentally' fixed the issue.
I'll see how long it keeps working.

user-1061

Thanks. i have attached a link to the procmon log which i have been unable to grasp. I have attached it for the record or in case anyone has the patience to interpret it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ry2uk0v0a4r4z...dFGpa?dl=0

user-763

@fullyabsorbent Sorry- temporary brainfade, you will not be able to rename the Windows\syswow64 folder as it is a protected system folder (it can be done but it is beyond the scope of this forum).
That is why I find it so unusual that it has been renamed at all.
Windows doesn't care usually about upper and lower case naming but perl might.
Unfortunately sfc cannot always find and repair esoteric issues, usually it means some other software/virus/malware is interfering with the normal running of the system.
Was this a clean install or an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8?

user-2

Run the third test I gave you.  If that fails, post a screenshot of the error.  If not, run the command below to complete the set.  If it fails, post a screenshot of the error.
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --search dontshowanymatches

EDIT: remove second get_iplayer invocation

user-1067

OK, so similar problem. Same symptoms but when I run the command suggested from an ADMINISTRATIVE cmd prompt I get:

C:\Program Files\get_iplayer>C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --search dontshowanymatches

INFO: 0 Matching Programmes

Which looks like it has worked to me... also works from a NON-admin cmd prompt...

Why's it not working from I.E.?

C:\Program Files\get_iplayer>

user-763

@user-1067 as I said in my reply to your post in this thread /thread-516.html please try and provide a clear statement of the issue that you are seeing with get_iplayer and Windows 10.
Pages: 1 2 3

These forums are archived

See this post for further info