These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

BBC iPlayer could be given password protection?

Pages: 1 2

user-1264

Forewarned is forearmed.

Just seen a headline on the Daily Telegraph Website:

"iPlayer could be given password protection and subscription fee under BBC reforms

John Whittingdale, the culture secretary, is to order the BBC to put password controls on the iPlayer, paving the way for the introduction of a separate subscription fee for the streaming service.

The government’s white paper on the future of the corporation, which will be published next month, is said to include plans to force users of the popular iPlayer to sign in before accessing the corporation’s television and radio programming, ensuring that those who do not pay the licence fee are excluded from the service."

I hope there is a way around this if it comes to pass...

user-250

I think it's quite right that people who don't pay the licence tax should be excluded from BBC media. I'd be willing in principle to pay a bit more for continued advert free programmes. Even better, I'd rather pay just for iplayer, and ditch the TV licence , as rarely watch anything off-air these days.

>I hope there is a way around this if it comes to pass...
I don't think we should openly discuss how to circumvent protection. There are plenty of places on the interweb for that.

As for get_iplayer, it can be modified store a cookie like anything else, or send credentials if required.

user-585

Quote:
Quote:I hope there is a way around this if it comes to pass...
I don't think we should openly discuss how to circumvent protection. There are plenty of places on the interweb for that.
I don't think that was what Dangerfield meant. I think what he was asking is can GiP cope with the sign in process.

user-250

Anyone that has the skill to maintain GiP, isn't going to be troubled by a task that you learn on day 2 of learning Perl. I think the trouble may be not wanting to be in breach of BBC T&C.

user-1264

(29-04-2016, 11:47 PM)I hope there is a way around this if it comes to pass...
I don't think we should openly discuss how to circumvent protection. There are plenty of places on the interweb for that.I don't think that was what Dangerfield meant. I think what he was asking is can GiP cope with the sign in process.
Sorry. My post was ambiguous. My concern is if GiP can/will cope with the sign in process.

With "high speed rural broadband" (not) GiP is the only way I can watch BBC programmes on demand - I run pvr on a  cron job overnight. My thanks to the GiP developers and maintainers.

user-763

Well of course John Whittingdale would like it to be 'strict' wouldn't he........

user-1272

If subscription come to pass, BBC should extend subscription to non-UK members. Heck, if they are wanting funding to help with programming, millions of others would be happy to have direct access to BBC programming online.

user-1278

Given that you don't need a licence to listen to radio programmes, are these likely to be affected too? I can however understand why the BBC is taking such measures. I know of one reasonably-wealthy couple, half of which was proud of the fact that no TV graced their understandably-licence-free home. The other half was happy to watch BBC programmes (like Doctor Who) paid for by other people, and quite legally as she wasn't doing so 'live'.

user-1300

I'm an ex-pat living in Germany and have used get-iplayer for years, profiting greatly from the possibility of downloading radio programmes to listen to offline.

To be honest, it has always bothered me to know that other people finance the service that I profit from. I pay for Netflix and Deezer and would be more than glad to pay for BBC iPlayer. I just hope that, if and when iPlayer becomes account protected, they will also provide a way for non-UK residents to subscribe as well. Surely that would make economic sense, bringing in new revenue instead of just trying to save money.

Thanks by the way to all those who contribute to get-iplayer and this pretty comprehensive website.

user-30

(25-05-2016, 08:50 AM)I'm an ex-pat living in Germany and have used get-iplayer for years, profiting greatly from the possibility of downloading radio programmes to listen to offline. To download TV programs involves setting up a VPN network, which is a grey area to say the least.

Yes, and as such talk of VPN's etc is not allowed here. This is detailed in the forum rules:

/thread-655.html

Thanks!

user-1300

Sorry. I've removed the comment on the forbidden topic. Just to be clear, I was not promoting this method, rather noting that one would have to make use of a method that is not OK. I think my post shows that  I am  hoping for a legal and proper solution.

user-30

No problem. I too hope for a legal and proper solution as I too have spent time in Germany...

user-250

It's gratifying that you didn't commit the grammatical crime of putting an apostrophe in VPNs in the help, yet you did in the posting above ;)

>Yes, and as such talk of VPN's etc is not allowed here.

The BBC employ VPNs themselves to avoid regional restrictions for receiving copy from journalists.

I completely agree, that as an end user, you should comply with the licence T&Cs

user-1239

Just curious about the T&Cs. Although the iplayer site allows downloads of programs it has two disadvantages that Get_Iplayer gets around:

1) GiP allows downloading in HD whereas as I understand it the iplayer site will give you a low quality version.
2) GiP has no time restrictions whereas iplayer downloads will expire after the said period and won't play after that date.

So the curiosity here is does GiP not breach the BBC licence terms?

user-637

Hello,

Today the BBC announced that an online account (BBC ID) will be required from early 2017 to use the BBC iplayer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37477229

Tiiv

user-1202

Hi there
I don't think the issue is bypassing the BBC's proposed new login scheme in any way whatsoever --I just hope that somehow perhaps the login can be incorporated into a new version of get_iplayer.

I find get_iplayer useful particularly for the RADIO (which doesn't require a licence fee anyway) - for example on long car journeys I often play a copy of the BBC R3's Through the night program - lasts for a hours which is fine.

As far as TV is concerned I appreciate being able to download the programs with subtitles and watch later too. I have SKY Q but enabling subtitles on that seems to have HUGE ugly subtitles that cover too much screen real estate !!!. The srt files from get_iplayer work perfectly.

I don't think most people intend to use get_iplayer as a means of avoiding the licence fee and if a login screen can be incorporated (or a text box for the cmd line version) that would be fabulous.

Cheers

-D

user-1141

From what I have read, use of BBC iPlayer will require logging in with a BBC ID (which I have). This BBC ID is being updated to have the users postcode. Hopefully there will be a way for GiP to use the same technique. I too record radio for long car or train journeys.

user-1300

(27-09-2016, 05:22 AM)Hello,

Today the BBC announced that an online account (BBC ID) will be required from early 2017 to use the BBC iplayer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37477229

Tiiv

If I've understood that article correctly, the BBC ID will only provide a weak control and is far from a personalised account that is directly linked to a licence. As I live abroad I obviously do not have a British post code but would be more than happy to pay for a licence. A shame really, as I was hoping for a solution that would enable ex-pats to use iPlayer. I guess this will also affect radio programmes as well. Maybe I'm missing something though.

user-1202

Hi Folks

I think we're all panicking too early -- this won't happen well into 2017 - probably even as late as 2017 Q3 - judging by how often UK GOVT I.T solutions fall apart and take years longer to implement than originally scheduled.

I'm not sure though I like the idea of a BBC ID. I'm quite happy say to use a TV license number - although what you do about people who only want Radio programs -- no idea.

Cheers
-D

user-585

Do we have any more info on when this is going to happen and what effect it will have?
Pages: 1 2

These forums are archived

See this post for further info