These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Have the BBC broken us again?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

user-1185

Thanks user-2

@user-1141 - unless you can directly access a file containing the audio stream the only route is realtime recording :( You might be able to find software that enables "WhatYouHear" on your soundcard though which avoids having to physically plug in cables but will pick up any noises played through the soundcard.

user-2

(14-02-2016, 10:30 PM)Can anyone suggest an ad-hoc way of capturing radio shows?
youtube-dl works for radio programmes as well. Just change the output file extension to .m4a after downloading if needed.

user-989

(14-02-2016, 06:18 PM)I cannot download anything using --pid

if you make a git clone of the project and checkout the develop branch, you can use that version to download with pid.

(14-02-2016, 10:19 PM)In user-2's announcement, he said:

"In the meantime, you can try youtube-dl for ad hoc downloads:

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/"

I still prefer get_iplayer. Get well soon.

(14-02-2016, 10:19 PM)I still prefer get_iplayer. Get well soon.

me too

EDIT: Proxy queries removed - see forum rules. If you have problems with youtube-dl, report them in its issue tracker.

edit: sorry, I didn't read the rules carefully.

user-1194

Sad getiplayer seems now to be history
I have Internet Download manager running and downloading (the "Trapped" - Icelandic drama) at the moment - transfer rate is just over 1 mb /sec on a BT non fibre connection

user-250

As a backup, I plug a usb stick in my skybox, and record R4 07:00 to 23:00 and manually split the programmes by time.

user-2

(14-02-2016, 10:19 PM)If you do not want to get the 50 fps versions (twice the size with no real improvement in quality) of videos, you can add this as an option for youtube-dl:

Code:
-f iplayer_stb_streaming_hd_akamai_hls_open-meta/iptv_streaming_1500_akamai_hls_open-meta/iplayer_stb_streaming_sd_akamai_hls_open-meta
Thanks for the reminder re: 50fps streams. If you're OK with HD, you also may be able to use the more succinct -f "[vbr<3000]", which is a video bit rate filter that catches the 25fps HD stream. Picking out lower-quality streams is tricky because of the way youtube-dl catalogues stream parameters.

user-937

Is this fixable?  Or is this the end of the line for get_iplayer?  It would be a real shame if it is.  I have to say I was shocked when it didn't work this evening as it is usually so reliable.

Thanks for your efforts.

user-1162

That was a pleasant surprise. Having a spare machine to play around with so I didn't have to bother with backing up my main installation, I overwrote get_iplayer.pl and .cgi with the v2.95 ones from the development branch, ran it, entered the necessary command line and copying/pasting the complete url from the programmes iPlayer play page and hey presto, not only did it download the item, but it downloaded at my fibre connection's maximum speed instead of the 1.2 MBps I usually get with any get_iplayer TV download. Well unless flvstreamer.exe throws a wobbly with an error message that it has failed and falls over after starting a download, when the download speed often doubles to 2.4 MBps after closing the error message.

user-1197

Good to know that there is a fairly simple fix to this, provided one is confident at editing configuration files. I can find the v2.95 .cgi file, but at am a loss as to where I can locate the relevant get_iplayer.pl file.

Seems strange that your download speed previously was so slow, as I have been experiencing download speeds of around 12 MBps or greater on my fibre connection on my Linux machine.

user-1162

It's the get_iplayer file without an extension and about 432KB (443,249 in the zip folder) in size. Just add the .pl extension, replace the get_iplayer.pl and the get_iplayer.cfg in your get_iplayer folder with the renamed file get_iplayer file and the get_iplayer.cfg from the development version and you're good to go.

As to the speed, never used get_player on Linux but previously on all my Windows laptops, whether XP, Win 7, Win 8.1 or a Surface Pro 2 with 8.1, I have always had 1.2 MBps when on ADSL1 (7.2 Mbps line), ADSL2+ (15 Mbps line) or when I moved to fibre (80 Mbps) and only since I copied over the two v2.95 files have I had the full speed of my fibre during a download. Go figure :)

user-1200

@johncymru: I did that, but it's still not working for me.  Can you show us what command line parameters you used please?

user-1162

get_iplayer --force --type=TV  "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b071c3nh/chinese-new-year-the-biggest-celebration-on-earth-1-migration" --modes=best --flvstreamer="C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\flvstreamer.exe"

Obviously your paths will be different.

Note, this is running the command line in the get_iplayer folder.

I should have added that I enter the get_iplayer folder using the get_iplayer shortcut that the Window install adds to ones systems with the command:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --search dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd --help

Though it works just as well if I use just the first command line above and entering the get_iplayer folder manually or via Explorer and selecting open command window here from the right click context menu.

user-1200

(for some reason, the 'Quote' button doesn't work for me)

@user-1162: Thank you, I've got it working now. (I didn't get the correct versions from git_hub; thought I was on the dev branch, but wasn't!)

user-586

There is a new way to hack radio downloads using the
HLS links as made available at beebotron here
https://beebotron.org/listings/radio4fm/hls/

Note the program pid is in each url
e.g b0705cgr in the following url
http:// open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/vpid/b0705cgr/mediaset/audio-syndication/proto/http

If you download the link you get a text m3u8 file.
that file contains another link - this time to an text m3u8 index file.
That file contains urls to segments of mp4 files
Each segment's url is on a seperate line and is nicely numbered in time order.
These can be downloaded individually in parallel - using say wget.
My segments were 10s in length.
Once all the segments are downloaded - say into a dedicated folder then you can join them all back up again into a single mp4 using say MP4joiner from here: http://www.mp4joiner.org/en/

Now you can convert mp4 into mp3 using the usual manner.

I am not saying that this is the way forward - only that it might be.

user-1162

(15-02-2016, 09:57 AM)(for some reason, the 'Quote' button doesn't work for me)

@user-1162: Thank you, I've got it working now. (I didn't get the correct versions from git_hub; thought I was on the dev branch, but wasn't!)

LOL, an error I have done before now.

Quote does work, only it doesn't show in the enter text box immediately, but if you look under the text box you will see the words below along with two links;

You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them.

Click on 'Quote these posts now' and anything you have clicked the quote button on will appear in the text entry box. It caught me out at first :)

user-1201

Is anyone able to do an idiot's guide to fixing get-player as discussed above please?

user-926

So, the big question - will get_iplayer be updated to fix this?

Cheers

Alan

user-1162

(15-02-2016, 10:25 AM)Is anyone able to do an idiot's guide to fixing get-player as discussed above please?

Go to git hub download page for get_iplayer and look for the button at the top labelled 2 branches and click on it and you will see two entries one of which is the Active development version. Click on develop.

Or go directly to the development download page using the link below;

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/tree/develop

and then download the zip file (button near the top right of the list).

Open the zip file and drag out the get_iplayer and get_iplayer.cfg file. Rename get_iplayer to get_iplayer.pl.

Then after creating a backup of your get-iplayer folder just in case. replace the get_iplayer.pl and get_iplayer.cfg with the ones you got from the zip file and you are good to go.

(15-02-2016, 10:33 AM)So, the big question - will get_iplayer be updated to fix this?

Cheers

Alan

If the beeb have made permanent changes that break the way get_iplayer now grabs program data, then I imagine so. The beeb did the same a short while ago but that time they reverted in less than a day IIRC so no changes were needed to get_iplayer.

user-1202

Hi there
I suspect it's currently broken because of the new BBC store where people will be able to purchase shows etc from the Beeb's Library.  I hope though for stuff available (Free) via normal BBC I_player the get_iplayer application can be mended or someone posts an easy get around. Currently it seems you need for Radio to go back to old fashioned "Real Time recording" and for TV use a Video recorder to record the show to a DVD and rip it with MakeMKV   --unfortunately if you do this you'll end up with only DVD rip quality as I don't think there are any HD DVD recorders available - and using that type of process is going backwards !!!.

Another route would be if there was a way to De-DRM the standard downloads --anybody yet !!!

Hopefully the get_iplayer app will be fixed.

Note the fix above doesn't apply to WINDOWS systems.

Cheers

user-1201

@johncymru - Thanks for your speedy reply which was crystal clear. I made the changes and it now works and seems to download much faster too! Many thanks again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

These forums are archived

See this post for further info