See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Some radio programmes won't record

Pages: 1 2 3 4

user-2

I have added some links (under "Read this first") in

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/install...itheadwin/

to instructions for opening a command prompt with administrator privileges.

user-30

Ah, nice one. My use of Windows is very infrequent these days so I wasn't sure if it was something peculiar to the OS.

user-2

@Rhapsody: You didn't save the script as a plain text file, so it's full of Microsoft HTML junk. Same goes for @Nimbus from 10:31, though it looks like you have gotten past that particular problem.

user-2

Everyone: Take a break from this for a bit until I test the process some more. I've found some IE 11 foolishness that I haven't seen before, so let me work out how much Microsoft have broken things and how to repair them.

user-611

I've been using Opera and this morning it was downloading the new .pl file as a plain text file, but it's been downloading it as a .txt file even if I add .pl to the file name in the download box, and even renaming it .pl after download doesn't change the file type any more.

I'll try with Chrome tomorrow.

user-515

I'm using Google Chrome, and the same applies.

user-2

It turned out there was only a small problem with IE 11. If you use IE, it is now required that you save the updated scripts with .txt extensions and the rename them after download. I've updated the instructions to make this clear. It isn't required with other browsers, but you should do it anyway. I've also checked the full update process on both Win 7 and Win 8.1 and it works as advertised.

EDIT: The use of the .txt extension in IE is to prevent it from putting junk HTML in the file. That junk prevents the scripts from executing properly, as some have seen.

user-611

I'm now getting a "System can not find specified file" error message when trying to copy the new .pl file.

Here is my process.

Download new Get_iplayer file in plain text using Chrome to
Code:
C:\Users\user\Downloads
then add .pl to the end of the file name.

Open CMD window and put
Code:
cd C:\Users\user\Downloads
Then
Code:
copy "C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\get_iplayer.pl" get_iplayer.pl.bak
which seems to work.
I then try
Code:
copy get_iplayer.pl "C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\get_iplayer.pl"
which gives me the above error message.

Also, in Opera 12.17 for Windows 7 it does download the file correctly the first time, but after repeated downloads using Right Click > Save Content As, I get:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html dir="ltr">
<head>
<title>Redirection Status</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="file://localhost/C:/Program%20Files/Opera/styles/message.css" media="screen,projection,tv,handheld,print,speech">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width">
</head>
<body>
<h1>Redirection Status</h1>
<p>The URL was redirected to <a href="https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/master/get_iplayer">https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/master/get_iplayer</a>. Please click the link to go there.</p>
<p>You can enable the automatic redirection in Preferences.</p>
<address>Generated by Opera.</address>
</body></html>

Changing file name to .pl doesn't seem to fix it and, I do have Automatic Redirection enabled.

user-515

In Windows 7 / Google Chrome, I went through the exact same process as Rhapsody above, and got the same result: "The system cannot find the file specified". Again as with Rhapsody, the .bak file seems to have copied OK.

user-2

Quote:Quote:I’m now getting a “System can not find specified file” error message when trying to copy the new .pl file.

There is no way for anyone else to know exactly what you did with your files. Did you run DIR to check if the names of the files are as expected? The most likely explanation is that you didn't take into account that Windows Explorer hides file extensions by default, even when renaming (same for you @WPW). I've changed the instructions yet again to take Windows Explorer out of the equation. Have another go.

Quote:Also, in Opera 12.17 for Windows 7 it does download the file correctly the first time, but after repeated downloads using Right Click > Save Content As, I get:

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. If you mean that you are right-clicking on the link in the wiki page and selecting "Save Linked Content As", then re-read the instructions. That is not what they tell you to do. It may be that your old version of Opera has a problem as well - the message in the downloaded file tells you where to look. I can't help you with that, but I can say that it works properly with the latest Opera using the instructions given.

user-611

Sweet Jesus it works.

The issue for me, and I'm guessing WPW, is as you correctly stated that Windows was hiding the file type, and therefore right clicking to rename the file wasn't actually doing any thing?

Also to clear up another point in this thread, is it possible to simply replace the old .pl file with the new one by deleting the old one and moving the newly downloaded and renamed one into the correct Get_iPlayer location?

We finally got there, thanks.

user-2

Quote:Quote:Also to clear up another point in this thread, is it possible to simply replace the old .pl file with the new one by deleting the old one and moving the newly downloaded and renamed one into the correct Get_iPlayer location?

Not recommended. The overwrite warning when you copy the file tells you that you're doing the right thing.

user-515

DP, you were absolutely right - that extra line of instruction you added did the trick, the new files copied over OK, and everything is now fine and dandy. Many thanks for your forbearance, and I'll be raising a glass to your anonymous self tonight!

user-662

DP, It worked (you knew it would!). I can't thank you enough. I successfully managed to download the two programmes that I missed last week, plus the one that I missed the week before (using the --pid method for the latter).

I realise that much of your advice (in my case anyway) has been mainly directed a complete newbie on the finer points of Windows command prompts, rather than the workings of Get_iplayer. Both yours and Square Penguin's patience and expert direction was/is greatly appreciated. I too will raise a glass to you both this evening.

Cheers

user-756

hi
been following the guides to update the git-head files
first line ok
1 file copied
but second says when I press yes access is denied 0 flies copied
am I missing something seems almost there

user-777

Can I add my thanks to DP. I've been experiencing the exact same problem, oddly on the exact same programmes as Nimbus. It took me several attempts and fresh installs (mainly operator error I'm sure...I've never messed with Command Prompt before) but I'm finally there, hoorah!

ps: to blue2691mearl, are you forgetting to open CP as administrator? That was one of my many mistakes.

user-775

I'm not used to this (or any) "programming" and have managed to get to download the txt file in Notepad however
Back up and replace existing CLI seems beyond me without help and the use of childlike language.

user-777

Tim, I was in the same boat as you with no prior knowledge of Command Prompt. What I did was to find an online article giving an idiots guide to CP usage and this enabled me, eventually, to follow the instructions correctly. This is what I used: [url=http://www.7tutorials.com/command-prompt-how-use-basic-commands][/url]

Unfortunately (and understandably) the instructions assume a degree of knowledge of CP. I found it helpful to copy and paste the commands into Word as I needed to add the (x86) bit then copy them again from there.

user-777

Oops, link has not worked, try this: http://www.7tutorials.com/command-prompt...c-commands

user-775

Sorry Art about as clear as mud to me, cannot seem to navigate to \path\to\working\directory
I find it impossible with the little knowledge i have
Any chance this will come as an "easy" patch in the not too distant future?
Pages: 1 2 3 4

These forums are archived

See this post for further info