These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Told to change my password - need help!

user-958

Can a Mod/Administrator please help me, I'm in something of a loop!
After many attempts to satisfy the password criteria, I'm constantly told that the existing password that was emailed to me is incorrect!
Not sure how that can be since I've only copied and pasted it from the email sent to me! :(

user-30

Hello,

You appear to have been able to log in and post this thread. That suggests that you have a valid username and password combination.

Can you help me with understanding the problem you are facing?

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow!

user-958

Hi SquarePenguin, I quite agree, I can barely understand it myself!
The story so far, ...attempting to download Peter Kay's "Car Share Series 2 ep 1" I entered this:-

get_iplayer --subtitles --pid p04z0nv8

Which invoked the following response from Get_iPlayer:-

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes

WARNING: Could not download programme metadata from http://www.bbc.co.uk/program
mes/p04z0nv8.xml
ERROR: Failed to get version pid metadata from iplayer site

An earlier attempt also failed but Get_iPlayer also tried to record PID directly using "type: tv", which also failed.

I then headed here but was greeted with a message telling me I could go no further until I had chosen a new password!
From memory, there were three boxes, the top one had a series of dots representing the offending password and the two beneath were for my new password, and a confirmation of it.

Here began a "guess the password dance", as it seems the pre-filled "Existing password" box was never correct!
I accept that I am now logged in, but I have no idea what the currently operational password is, so I'm scared to log out in order to which if any of those tried will get me back in!!

user-30

Ah OK, well don't panic I can reset your password for you and send it to you so you won't be locked out. And I think you can do this yourself too anyway by clicking the "Lost Password" link on the login box.

Feel free to email me at the details found in the footer of the website and we can do that via email (if you prefer).

Regarding the downloading trouble you're facing, you seem to be using the 'series' PID, not the one for episode 1. The URL for episode 1 is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04...-episode-1

As you can see the PID is different from the one you are trying, the one you are trying being the pid for the whole series.

If you want the single episode switch the PID you are using to: p04wytcq

If you want to use the series PID you'll need to add the --pid-recursive argument to your command.

user-958

Quote:you can do this yourself too anyway by clicking the "Lost Password" link on the login box.

Yes, but that's where "the dance" began!
I think I have a reasonable idea what my current password is, so now I know I can email you, I'll attempt logging out and back in!

Quote:As you can see the PID is different from the one you are trying, the one you are trying being the pid for the whole series

Ahh! that's why the PID appears at the end of the string rather than in the middle!
Yes, I did want to download the series but thought I had to do each episode individually!

As you can probably tell, I'm not very IT literate despite dabbling with Linux for 4/5 years!
Will the "Series Record" option give me one large file, or will it split into the component episodes?
Not sure where in the command to insert "--pid-recursive", I've tried
Code:
get_iplayer --subtitles --pid p04z0nv8--pid-recursive
but get this response:-

get_iplayer Output:

E:\Get iPlayer>get_iplayer --subtitles --pid p04z0nv8--pid-recursive
get_iplayer v2.92, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
 This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
 This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
 conditions; use --conditions for details.

WARNING: rdf URL contained no data
WARNING: PID URL contained no RDF data. Trying to record PID directly.
INFO: Trying pid: p04z0nv8--pid-recursive using type: tv
INFO: Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
Matches:

:confused:

user-30

To answer your questions:

Quote:Will the "Series Record" option give me one large file, or will it split into the component episodes?

The --pid-recursive argument will download all available episodes as separate files. It's just a quicker way of downloading all available episodes of a series versus identifying each PID for each individual programme so it's the best thing to use for this particular series as all episodes are available.

Quote:Not sure where in the command to insert "--pid-recursive", I've tried

get_iplayer Output:

get_iplayer --subtitles --pid p04z0nv8--pid-recursive

If you look closely at the PID you'll see that you haven't left a space between it and the --pid-recursive argument. That's why it's not finding the PID as it's looking for "p04z0nv8--pid-recursive". Leave a space between the two and it should work.

The thing to note though is that --pid-recursive is useful for series like this where all the episodes are available but I wouldn't use it all the time, usually sticking with the single PID method works best/most easily.

user-958

Thanks for that but still no joy:-

get_iplayer Output:

E:\Get iPlayer>get_iplayer --subtitles --pid p04z0nv8 --pid-recursive
get_iplayer v2.92, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
 This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
 This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
 conditions; use --conditions for details.

WARNING: rdf URL contained no data
WARNING: PID URL contained no RDF data. Trying to record PID directly.
INFO: Trying pid: p04z0nv8 using type: tv
INFO: Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
Matches:

WARNING: Could not download programme metadata from http://www.bbc.co.uk/program
mes/p04z0nv8.xml
I must still be doing something wrong :(

user-30

Try using:

get_iplayer Output:

get_iplayer --subtitles --pid=b08l2cn9 --pid-recursive

Also, you'll probably need to update your version of get_iplayer to get it to work as you're on a very old version. Download it here:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplay...tag/2.99.0

user-958

Thanks, tried
Code:
get_iplayer --subtitles --pid=b08l2cn9 --pid-recursive

which brought up the ubiquitous "not a scalar reference", finally succeeding (ongoing) with:-
Code:
get_iplayer --subtitles --pid=b08l2cn9 --pid-recursive --exclude-supplier=akamai

I'm mystified where the pid "b0812cn9" came from, ..I can't find it on the iPlayer site.

Regarding the version I'm using, it's on my old Vista machine which has had its final windows updates today! End of an era, now I'll be forced to use my Windows 10 Machines, and of course Linux!

Will the latest version that you linked me to work on Windoze 10? :)

(continued at /thread-1274.html)

These forums are archived

See this post for further info