get_iplayer forums

Full Version: PVR Error Message: "Malformed UTF-8 character (fatal)"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

Until about a week ago, Get iPlayer was working fine. Then, a few days ago, I noticed that nothing new was appearing in my downloads folder (suggesting that the PVR wasn’t running – or wasn’t running successfully). I left it over the weekend and, still, today, nothing new in my downloads folder. This morning, I ran the PVR manually:
get_iplayer –pvr
and received the following error message:
Malformed UTF-8 character (fatal) at C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\ line 11962.

I can still download individual programmes (by PID, etc.)

I was on version 2.94 but, today, updated to version 2.96.1.
Any thoughts/suggestions, please?
It would seem you have some junk in one or more of your pvr jobs. Run get_iplayer --pvr-list and look for  characters that aren't properly encoded (they should appear in the form &#xNN; ), then fix or re-create the corresponding pvr jobs.
Hi dinky

Thanks for the suggestion but, when I run:

get_iplayer --pvr-list

... all I get is the same error message:

Malformed UTF-8 character (fatal) at C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\ line 11962
In that case, you will need to examine each pvr job to find the broken one(s). The files should be in C:\Users\<username>\.get_iplayer\pvr. Use more or type to print each file. The junk should appear as non-alphanumeric characters.
Hi dinky

Found it (thanks to your help)! Normal service has been resumed.

Thanks again!