These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

ITV HASH ref error

user-321

I am using the latest version 2.85 and have noticed this error for the first time:
INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
Can't use string ("1/8") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 3941.

I have the itv.plugin installed and --type=itv works for getting the list of videos available. The one in question is still in Catch-Up so it is free.

Note that BBC downloads work great!

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance....
Marcus

user-2

ITV hasn't been supported by get_iplayer for years. If you found an old copy of itv.plugin somewhere, it is guaranteed not to work. The ITV service has changed greatly in the intervening years. If you have tried to pluck itv.plugin from Get iPlayer Automator and use it with get_iplayer, that also won't work. Only the search function works, not downloading. If you want to hack on it to make it work for downloading, by all means do so. Have a look at the Get iPlayer Automator source for how downloads are done.

user-288

I'm experiencing the same issue, and accept that older plugins aren't supported and the newer plugins aren't compatible with the mainstream get-iplayer.

However I was expecting that if I ran get_iplayer.pl direct from the get-iplayer-automator source, then the issue would go away. Unfortunately if I try to use the itv plugin like this, I experience the same issue.

Code:
$ perl get_iplayer.pl --type=itv --get "The Cat in the Hat"
[...]
INFO: Checking existence of default version
Can't use string ("1/8") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at get_iplayer.pl line 4252

Any information about how the strict hash issue is avoided within get-iplayer-automator would be useful, and how I can successfully work around it. I'm not trying to run the ubuntu version of get-iplayer, rather trying to use the source from github...
https://github.com/GetiPlayerAutomator/g...-automator
...and expecting that only perl is needed so compatibility should be feasible across Ubuntu and Mac. Does that make sense?

user-2

Refer to my earlier post: It doesn't work for downloading, and hasn't for years, not even with GiA. The GiA version is not intended to work for downloading, so don't waste your time trying. GiA doesn't use it for downloading, only for searching, which GiA's author hacked into the original, completely broken, ITV plugin from get_iplayer.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info