These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

audio issues maybe related to other reported threads

user-91

when downloaded programmes in the last 24 hours all the audio on the videos seem to have audio cutting out then cutting in... e.g. 2 or 3 seconds of sound.. then 1 sec no sound.. all the way through the videos.

so i deleted the videos and tried again. exactly the same issue.

so far i have noticed that when i play the video which has "part" (as it is downloading) then audio is fine.

but when the video finished downloading and then playback the video it has the annoying cut in and cut out in the audio :(

i assume something gone wrong with the final processing when video finished downloading.

i am using the latest version 2.95 and it has been working fine and other videos prior to this issue are all working fine :s

if you need more information please ask me thanks

user-91

right ...

i have done a bit more digging...

when i using this command

Code:
get_iplayer --get "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07m57mz/forces-of-nature-with-brian-cox-4-the-pale-blue-dot" --verbose --force > "$HOME/log.txt" 2>&1

i downloaded an perfectly fine video and audio (not need for me to disclose the dump)

but when i use my usual setting as below to create an dump

Code:
get_iplayer --tvmode=flashhigh --subtitles --subsrequired --get "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07m57mz/forces-of-nature-with-brian-cox-4-the-pale-blue-dot" --verbose --force > "$HOME/log.txt" 2>&1

i still get the audio cutting in and out

please find attached the dump: Output log.txt

user-91

it seem to be solved for now by adding

Code:
--ffmpeg

:$

user-2

(26-07-2016, 01:42 AM)it seem to be solved for now by adding
Code:
--ffmpeg
You can't use --ffmpeg on its own. For the benefit of future readers, edit your post to explain what you actually did. As to your original post:

Patient: "It hurts when I do this"
Doctor: "Then don't do that"

There is no reason to use flash modes any longer, so don't use them, especially if they don't work properly. And don't use a development version of avconv - it has already brought trouble to other users. Probably best to avoid avconv altogether. See the latest release notes for a link to get a proper version of ffmpeg. Either remove the libav-tools package (or whatever you used to get that development version of avconv installed) or use the --ffmpeg option to configure get_iplayer to use your proper version of ffmpeg. 

Ubuntu 14.04 users were a bit shafted (for get_iplayer usage) by its maintainers as a result of the ffmpeg/libav split, though that has been rectified in later versions. I'm probably going to remove all built-in support for avconv in the next release. This kind of thing is going to affect more Ubuntu users who can't or won't upgrade from 14.04. Better to force 14.04 users to get the proper tools than keep dealing with these problems.

user-91

thanks for reply just to correct my post

on the usage of --ffmpeg also to offer an alternative for the tvmode for non-flash is that

--tvmode=flashhd is now becomes --tvmode=hlshigh

is as follows

Code:
get_iplayer --tvmode=hlshigh --ffmpeg --subtitles --subsrequired --get "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07m57mz/forces-of-nature-with-brian-cox-4-the-pale-blue-dot" --verbose --force > "$HOME/log.txt" 2>&1

your right i probably should consider upgrading my operating system it is long overdue !

user-2

(26-07-2016, 12:02 PM)
Code:
get_iplayer --tvmode=hlshigh --ffmpeg --subtitles --subsrequired --get "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07m57mz/forces-of-nature-with-brian-cox-4-the-pale-blue-dot" --verbose --force > "$HOME/log.txt" 2>&1
It still doesn't make sense to use --ffmpeg without an argument. Your username suggests an affinity for subtitles, but you won't get subtitles with that command because you're telling get_iplayer that the path to your ffmpeg executable is --subtitles. That means both --ffmpeg and --subtitles are effectively ignored, so using --ffmpeg in this way has no effect except to prevent subtitles being downloaded. As you already demonstrated, changing the recording mode was the solution, ostensibly because of problems with your development version of avconv. We tell you to produce a verbose log in our instructions, but you should read it as well. It makes such mistakes visible without the need for us to tell you.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info