These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

simultaneous downloads are slow and default file naming has changed

user-416

Hello,

My operating system is KDE Mint (Qiana 17). And I just upgraded to get-iplayer version 2.95, which brings a couple of differences that confuse me a little, I confess.

- I am a heavy user. My previous version (can't remember which one exactly, sorry) used to record up to seven BBC programs at the same time, with no difficulty at all. That seems no longer feasible in v2.95. A moment ago, I attempted recording just two BBC programs simultaneously, by way of test run - with nothing else on my desktop - and both immediately ground down to snail pace.

Does this mean that one-at-the-time is standard for v2.95?

- Successful recordings used to appear as default.mp4. Presently they emerge as original.mp4. In my previous get-player version, though, 'original' in the file title usually indicated that something had gone wrong.

Why the change?

Thank you very much for your advice.

tnob

user-2

(16-07-2016, 06:41 PM)- I am a heavy user. My previous version (can't remember which one exactly, sorry) used to record up to seven BBC programs at the same time, with no difficulty at all. That seems no longer feasible in v2.95. A moment ago, I attempted recording just two BBC programs simultaneously, by way of test run - with nothing else on my desktop - and both immediately ground down to snail pace.

Does this mean that one-at-the-time is standard for v2.95?
If you had read the release notes, you would know that the default streaming format and protocol have changed with 2.95, and you would also know how to revert to the previous format. The new default streams are accessed via HTTP, which can be an entirely different ballgame for some users, depending on your connectivity. It is unlikely that you are CPU-bound or memory-bound with only two simultaneous downloads, but check CPU utilisation and resource load anyway just to be sure. More important is to look at what bandwidth utilisation is indicated in the get_iplayer progress displays. If the combined number is a small fraction of your nominal available bandwidth, then your problem is probably upstream. If it persists, then as I said, you can revert back to flash streams to see if they work any better for you. You also have the option of going back to your previous version of get_iplayer. It won't make much difference if you really want to stick with flash. All I can tell you is that I have no problem running simultaneous downloads and utilising all my available bandwidth, but YMMV.
(16-07-2016, 06:41 PM)- Successful recordings used to appear as default.mp4. Presently they emerge as original.mp4. In my previous get-player version, though, 'original' in the file title usually indicated that something had gone wrong.
If you had read the release notes you would know the answer. An "original" in the file name never meant that something had gone wrong. I have no idea where you got that notion. It should have been there all along - get_iplayer is merely catching up with BBC changes.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info