These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Start and Stop commands

user-1166

Firstly, many thanks indeed for 2.95 - the program and the updated documentation/support.

I note that the Start and Stop commands now work, whereas previously I used a ffmpeg-radio-opts workaround for Start (which you kindly gave me).

Whilst the commands work, there can be a small mismatch between the timings reported on BBC iplayer radio (I listen to the start and end of a piece of radio online and note to the nearest second my Start and Stop points) and the actual start and stop of the downloaded m4a file.  As I say, it can be just 2, 3 or 4 seconds out, but it can be enough to spoil a nice fadeout if BBC Continuity talk over the end of a piece.

Is there an art to this?  Should I expect Start and Stop only to work to the nearest (say) 2 seconds or so?  Any guidance you can give greatly appreciated.  I know I could post-edit, but it's really handy to edit the fille at the point of download.

Thank you.

user-2

get_iplayer has followed the BBC and switched to using chunked media streams (HLS). The chunk size for radio programmes is a bit over 6 secs, so it can't be cut to the nearest second during download as the RTMP streams could. You can temporarily still use --ffmpeg-radio-opts, but that option is deprecated and on the way out. The alternative is to use --command to run the output file through ffmpeg after download and trim it there. If you do that, don't use --start and --stop.

user-1166

Understood. Many thanks Dinky.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info