These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Live Stream problems

user-315

I have moved to Ubuntu and was trying to get livestreaming to work.

Using the command
Code:
get_iplayer --stream --type=livetv "BBC Two" --player="mplayer -cache 512 -" --modes=flashstd1
I get the error message
Code:
DEBUG: HandleInvoke, server invoking <onStatus>
DEBUG: HandleInvoke, onStatus: NetStream.Failed
ERROR: Closing connection: NetStream.Failed
DEBUG: Closing connection.

INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)

INFO: Streaming failed with exit code 1
DEBUG: Record using flashstd1 mode return code: 'abort'
ERROR: aborting get_iplayer
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)  

libavformat version 53.21.1 (external)
Mismatching header version 53.19.0

Exiting... (End of file)

I have already followed this guide: https://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/known-issues/swfurl/ to try solve this but no dice. Any help?

user-2

The information in that page is irrelevant to get_iplayer 2.83+ (latest is 2.85), and generally irrelevant to live streaming. If you installed with the instructions at:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/installation/ubuntu/

then you have the latest version. If not, use those instructions to upgrade. Only Saucy has a working get_iplayer package in its repo, and it's still obsolete. Undo any changes you made based on the info in the "swfurl" page, as instructed in the "Reverting" section at the bottom.

Live streaming can be very difficult. Once the stream starts it's usually OK, but it can take a while to get it working. The only thing you can do is keep trying, and rotate the value of
Code:
--modes
between "flashstd1" and "flashstd2" in order to flip between the 2 available CDNs (see the "Modes and CDNs" section of: https://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/modes/ if you need an explanation). You may also have better luck with VLC as your player. Just use
Code:
--player="vlc -"
(after installing VLC, of course).

user-315

Still having problems, but like you said, live streaming can be difficult. When I enter the command, it shows me a list of possible modes. Some of them begin with rtsp, but when I try to stream one of them I get these errors:
Code:
INFO: Mode list: rtspvhigh1
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: Version = default
INFO: rtspvhigh1 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying rtspvhigh1 mode to record livetv: BBC Two - live
INFO: Attempt number: 1 / 3
INFO: File name prefix = BBC_Two_live_2014-01-10_030023                
INFO: URL = rtsp://3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554/[email protected]_inlet_1500@s24325
INFO: Streaming Low Quality H.264 stream to stdout

INFO: Command: "cvlc" "--sout" "file/ts:-" "rtsp://3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554/[email protected]_inlet_1500@s24325" "vlc://quit"

VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower (revision 2.0.8a-0-g68cf50b)
[0xb61248] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[0x7efee8002488] live555 demux error: Failed to connect with rtsp://3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554/[email protected]_inlet_1500@s24325
[0x7efee8003538] access_realrtsp access error: cannot connect to 3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554
[0x7efee8003538] main access error: Connection failed
[0x7efee8003538] main access error: VLC could not connect to "3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554".
[0x7efeec000a28] main input error: open of '
rtsp://3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554/[email protected]_inlet_1500@s24325' failed
[0x7efeec000a28] main input error: Your input can't be opened
[0x7efeec000a28] main input error: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp://3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554/[email protected]_inlet_1500@s24325'. Check the log for details.
[0x7efee8007d38] idummy demux: command 'quit'
INFO: Command exit code 0 (raw code = 0)

Can it play this files, and I need to set something or is it pointless?

user-2

Don't bother with the rtsp modes. They are a vestigial appendage of get_iplayer that will eventually be removed. The rtsp streams sometimes work with live radio, but never work with TV. The rtsp video streams are incompatible with VLC.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info