These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

get_iplayer 2.95 "uninstall.exe" identified as Trojan

user-1337

I'm a new user and just installed get_iplayer v2.95 on a Win 7 PC and it's working fine.  However I've realised that my Kaspersky anti-virus programme has auto-deleted get_iplayer's "uninstall.exe" declaring it to be a "Trojan-Ransom.NSIS.Onion.aefp".

I've checked the md5 code with the install executable, and they match ok.

Is this a known false-postive or should I be worrying?

Thanks, Allan.

user-585

Hi Allan,
It's a false positive. There have been a couple of reports of Kaspersky flagging the uninstaller as a Trojan. It isn't though.

user-2

This has been reported elsewhere, so it isn't just you. Only Kaspersky can tell you for sure if it's a false positive. All I can tell you is that I have run it numerous times without my data being encrypted and held for ransom. There is a small update to the installer coming soon, and the version of uninstall.exe generated by the updated installer is judged OK by the Kaspersky engine on virustotal.com, so make of that what you will. I have no idea what triggers Kaspersky to delete it. If you want to be able to uninstall, configure Kaspersky to quarantine files if you can, then reinstall get_iplayer. You obviously need uninstall.exe to uninstall, so you need some way to mark it as OK (assuming that is what you want to do).

user-1337

That's reassuring.  

I've added the "uninstall.exe" to Kaspersky's SETTINGS > ADDITIONAL > THREATS & EXCLUSIONS, and this allows it to be installed.  However to actually carry out an uninstall, you need to pause temporarily Kaspersky's protection, otherwise it leaps in and prevents execution.

That's get_iplayer installed again and working ok.  It will be interesting to try the newer uninstall version once released. Thanks.

user-2

(07-07-2016, 10:36 PM)It will be interesting to try the newer uninstall version once released. Thanks.
It has been released, so let us know what results you get.

user-1337

The latest release (2.95.1) installs and uninstalls without any problems on PCs running Kaspersky Internet Security 2016.  Also it doesn't require any exceptions to be added to Kaspersky, so that simplifies things greatly.

Thanks for your prompt attention to this issue.

user-2

(09-07-2016, 10:11 PM)Thanks for your prompt attention to this issue.
I can't take any credit - false positives from anti-virus are beyond my control. Thanks for the confirmation that the new release passes muster with Kaspersky.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info