These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

how to download a series

user-1329

Is there a way to download a whole series at a time by using a command in the URL field, for instance I want to download everything available in this series http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011cdng...des/player

I get a message on get_iplayer to use --recursive, but don't know exactly how to use that to create a command.
Can someone give me detailed directions?
Thanks!

user-2

You could do worse than searching the forums. An example of how to do this was posted literally just yesterday.

user-2

In this case it looks like you may need to record all episodes individually. The metadata get_iplayer needs to find all the episodes for recursive recording appears to be incomplete for this series. In cases like this, when a series is still ongoing, there is no need to attempt recursive recording. Just record the episodes from search results as normal.

user-1329

Thank for your help! I searched the forums and have found help there, but am still doing something wrong.
I would like to download the 17 episodes of The Day of the Triffids
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072sxm...des/player
so I used
get_iplayer --type radio --pid-recursive --pid b0072sxm
in a new command prompt and got back a message that get_iplayer is not recognized

The command prompt that opens up when I run get iplayer doesn't allow me to input anything.

So, back to my original query, can someone give detailed directions for a complete noob about how to use recursive pid to download a series.
(I understand that 10 episodes at a time will be downloaded, I am just using Triffids as an example)
Exactly what do I type, and where do I type it?

Thank you all very much!

user-2

(30-06-2016, 05:45 PM)in a new command prompt and got back a message that get_iplayer is not recognized

The command prompt that opens up when I run get iplayer doesn't allow me to input anything.
For pete's sake. Why didn't you include this in your original post? How would you expect to download anything, much less a full series, when the application appears to be broken or improperly installed? And post links to programmes you actually want to download - don't post examples. It is counterproductive to waste the time of people from whom you are seeking assistance.

You installation appears to be broken or else you didn't install get_iplayer properly. Download the installer from the link on this page:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/windowsinstall/

and reinstall get_iplayer.  If it still doesn't work, post a screenshot of your console window with the error message.

Moving this thread to Windows forum.

EDIT: If you are not opening get_iplayer from the Start Menu for some reason, that could also explain the error.

EDIT2: Invoking Start Menu shortcut with "Run as administrator" could also explain the error.

user-250

Mary

Assuming you are using Microsoft windows
change to the directory where you have get_iplayer installed
Lines with :: are comments don't type these in

open a command prompt
Press Windows key +R, type CMD and press the enter key
You should be able to copy and paste these command into your prompt
Type at the command prompt and press the enter key
::64bit bit windows
cd /d "c:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer"
or
::32bit windows
cd /d "c:\Program Files\get_iplayer"
Type at the command prompt and press the enter key
get_iplayer --type radio --pid-recursive --pid b0072sxm

e.g.
C:\Users\user1\binw>cd /d "c:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer"
:: prompt changes from C:\ to c:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer>
c:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer>get_iplayer --type radio --pid-recursive --pid b0072sxm

These forums are archived

See this post for further info