These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Downloading subtitles question.

user-1324

Hi, i’m new here so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

First i must say thank you get_iplayer is fantastic.

Been using get_iplayer about two weeks, no problems so far.
This is not a problem more me not understanding how to use the subtitle command code. I have downloaded a TV programme using this code "get_iplayer --pid=p03w7xkr" what i can't work out what code i need to add to download the subtitles at the same time or separately. The programme does have subtitles.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give

[color=#000000][size=small][font=Arial]Richard[/font][/size][/color]

user-30

user-1324

thanks for your quick reply

i did read that the part i don't understand were it says "get_iplayer --subsonly --get 123"  in my example when downloading TV program using this code "get_iplayer --pid=p03w7xkr" do i replace 123 with p03w7xkr.

so really i'm not sure where i get the 123 part on the end.
Richard

user-30

If you don't understand that bit you might need to re-read through the TV Download Guide in the guides section. --get 123 related to the programme you are downloading. For example --get is one of the methods you can use to start a download, --pid is another.

If you read the second link it would tell you exactly what each of the options do. Hit ctrl+f and search for 'subtitles'. Read through the various explanations.

You see that you only need to add one option to download subtitles.

user-1324

thanks again for your help, you will read again

user-585

Hi Richard,
123 is the index number of a programme in the TV cache. So if you searched for garddio using a command like get_iplayer garddio

you would see something like this:

get_iplayer Output:

Matches:
514:    Garddio a Mwy - Pennod 7, S4C, , default
515:    Garddio a Mwy - Pennod 8, S4C, , default

INFO: 2 Matching Programmes

so get_iplayer --subsonly --get 514 would download the subtitles for episode 7 in this example.

Using the PID like you are using in your example is also completely fine and as the episode you are after is over 7 days old and not listed in the cache, the only way for you to get episode 6.

get_iplayer --pid=p03w7xkr --subsonly should work for you.

user-1324

tvfan thank you very much, it all makes sense :) i see where the 123 comes from now.
i think at the moment i'm only using 1% of what get_iplayer is capable of doing.

thanks for taking the time to get the examples for me its very much appreciate it has helped made it all clear to me

Thank you
Richard

These forums are archived

See this post for further info