These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Omitting a particular channel or a programme when downloading?

user-1318

I've a question please.
For good few months now I've been having an issue that whenever I download any radio programme using either the search string or the index number, get_iplayer, in addition to the programme I'm after, downloads a program called Satvinder Rana from BBC Radio Derby. The only way I found to prevent this extra download is to use PID.

I guess this is happening because of some indexing error with this Satvinder programme on the BBC's behalf.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Is there anyway to prevent this issue other than using PID? Or better still if I can sort out this annoyance permanently. Looking for programme's PID(s) all the time is getting a bit tiresome to be honest.

I never download any programmes from BBC Radio Derby. So maybe telling get_iplayer to ignore programmes from this channel could work? I couldn't find in the get_iplayer guides how to exclude a particular channel or a programme when downloading.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

Amro

user-2

Have the courtesy to clean up your post. Don't expect us to filter that formatting noise. Then read this and flesh out your report with some information we can use to diagnose the problem:

thread-706.html

user-1318

Hello Dinky,

Thanks for your email.

Many apologies for the noise. My screen reader (access program for the blind) doesn't always report accurately what you and other see on the screen - hopefully this will come through clean.

Before posting I've search the forum for this problem but I couldn't find any answers nor I could find an answer in the manuals.

I use the latest get_iplayer version on a Windows 7 64bit machine and the command lines I use are simple ones:
get_iplayer -g "program name"
and
get_iplayer -g "index number"
I have set radio as the default type of programmes to be downloaded. I don't get any error messages because the download goes through no problems. But if I'm honest, I don't believe that this or the command lines have any bearings on this issue because I think it's a problem with the BBC iPlayer site rather than get_iplayer itself. To test this try search for anything in the radio listings and you'll see that the offending programme comes up as one of the results.

Here's below my original message again

Hello,

I've a question please.

For good few months now I've been having an issue that whenever I download any radio programme using either the search string or the index number, get_iplayer, in addition to the programme I'm after, downloads a program called Satvinder Rana from BBC Radio Derby. The only way I found to prevent this extra download is to use PID.

I guess this is happening because of some indexing error with this Satvinder programme on the BBC's behalf.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Is there anyway to prevent this issue other than using PID? Or better still if I can sort out this annoyance permanently. Looking for programme's PID(s) all the time is getting a bit tiresome to be honest.

I never download any programmes from BBC Radio Derby. So maybe telling get_iplayer to ignore programmes from this channel could work? I couldn't find in the get_iplayer guides how to exclude a particular channel or a programme when downloading.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

Amro

user-2

The post editor is a WYSIWYG interface, so if you compose your post in another application, use a plain text editor like Notepad. Then when you transfer the text to the post composition window it won't bring along the extraneous formatting information. Alternatively, you can toggle the post editor between WYSIWYG and plain text view with Control-Shift-S (when your cursor is in the post editor), but I don't think your screen reader will register the mode change, so you would need to keep track in your head. You can also do the same thing by toggling the "View source" button (last on the right in toolbar above post editor). The default mode is WYSIWYG.

As to the problem at hand, you still haven't provided any useful information to use in diagnosing the issue. Your symptoms cannot be duplicated, and I can tell you they have nothing to do with the BBC iPlayer site. My guess is that you have messed up your preferences by erroneously saving a stray search term or some other option that pulls in the Radio Derby programme. However, until you provide an actual command that demonstrates the problem and a verbose log of its output - as detailed in the instructions I linked - I can only guess. If you can't or won't do that, all I can tell you is to run get_iplayer --show-options and look for any setting that seems amiss.

user-1318

Log 1.txt
Log 2.txt
Log 3.txt

OK. Hope this report is better.
First I searched for Dead Ringers using the command line
get_iplayer "Dead Ringers" --verbose > C:\Users\amro\log.txt 2>&1
The verbose log file it generated was 'log_1-Dead Ringers'
Then I downloaded Dead Ringers using
get_iplayer -g 11060 --verbose > C:\Users\amro\log.txt 2>&1
Verbose file is 'log_2-11060'
As I said, this Satvinder Rana programme appears in the results no matter which programme I'm searching for and it downloads no matter what index number or search string I use. To illustrate I searched for 6 Music Classic
get_iplayer "6 Music Classic" --verbose > C:\Users\amro\log.txt 2>&1
And you can see it again appears in the results in the verbose log file 'log_1-6 Music Classic'
I'm using the latest get_iplayer version on a Windows 7 64bit computer.
If there are any other specific tests you'd like me to carry please let me know.
Amro

user-2

Thanks for the log files. As I suspected, you have messed up your preferences somehow. For example, in your Dead Ringers log you will find this line:

INFO: Search args: 'Dead Ringers','(TV|Downloads)'

You will see that there are two search terms: the one you intended ("Dead Ringers") and one you did not ("(TV|Downloads)"). The "TV" in the bogus search term always matches "Satvinder".

It appears that something went wrong when you added --outputtv to your preferences since the bogus search term is constructed from the "TV Downloads" at the end of C:\Users\Amro\Downloads\BBC TV Downloads. Examine your options file C:\Users\Amro\.get_iplayer\options and check if something seems amiss with the outputtv entry. I would normally suggest deleting and re-adding the --outputtv option, but I think something may be wrong with the file.  If the problem isn't apparent to you, post the contents of your options file.

user-2

You will also need to remove the bogus option, which should look like this:

search (TV|Downloads)

user-1318

Superb. Deleting the line 'search (TV|Downloads)' from the options file seems to have done the trick!

I think the contents of the options file are OK now but here they are:

output C:\Users\Amro\Downloads\BBC Radio Downloads
aactomp3 1
type radio
outputtv C:\Users\Amro\Downloads\BBC TV Downloads

Many thanks for your help.

Amro

These forums are archived

See this post for further info