These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Windows install question

user-303

I have been using get_iplayer for about a week and it has been fabulous, no problems.
I already had the latest VLC media player installed on my Win 7 Pro system, it is my default media player.

Just have two questions regarding installation

1. Is it necessary to have VLC checked on install of get_iplayer(I had everything checked when I installed last week)?

2. Also is it necessary to install the Web PVR module?

I don't intend to ever use the pvr functions, and am very happy using the DOS command line when using get_iplayer.

Thank You

user-2

No need to install VLC if you already have it. There is some now-defunct code in get_iplayer that utilised VLC, but it will eventually be removed. VLC remains in the installer for now primarily as a convenience for people who don't have it already. I don't think the get_iplayer VLC install will interfere with your existing installation, but I'm not entirely sure about that. If you want to remove it, run the get_iplayer uninstaller and de-select every component except VLC.

The Web PVR will always be installed, but there is no need to use it. It is only a few small files, so takes up very little space.

user-303

Thanks, I will just leave well enough alone. And thank you sincerely for all your work on this project.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info