These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Radio Program Missing in search

user-288

Hi, all.

I'm putting together a simple script which just takes search terms and grabs the relevant content on a periodically executed script to make sure I don't miss an episode of a given series.

I noticed the radio series at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nk0wz and tried to find it using "Aping Evolution" as a search, but even if I choose type=radio and/or channel="BBC Radio 4" it is still missing from the search results.

Code:
get-iplayer --type=radio "Aping Evolution"

In the end I had to run...

Code:
get-iplayer --no-purge --type=radio --pid-recursive --pid=b00nk0wz

...to get the episodes, but this is impractical for my family to maintain subscriptions to episodes to deal with pids (compared to typing a new line with the human-readable title of the series in a text file).

Can anyone explain where this programme is being stored as I can't find it within radio, and find it too hard to decode the data associated with the download to find out what search scope would find it. Perhaps get-iplayer experts can see more easily where this lives in BBC's metadata world.

user-2

For that series, your only option is to use the command you showed. Archived programmes don't appear in the data feeds that get_iplayer uses for searching. They're catalogued internally by the BBC web site, so you have to find the PID there and specify it on the get_iplayer command line.

The notion of a "subscription" doesn't apply for archived programmes. All the episodes of an archived series are already available, so
Code:
--pid-recursive
is used to grab them in one go. Once you find the series on the web site and download its episodes, you should never need to look it up again.

If a new series of a given programme is broadcast in the future, it will appear in the data feeds and thus will be searchable by get_iplayer as normal. Is there some reason you don't want to use get_iplayer's PVR functionality for that?

user-2

If you're not familiar with the PVR functionality, my esteemed colleague has written a guide:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/get_i...pvr-guide/

These forums are archived

See this post for further info