These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Reinstalled and now not working (TV & Radio)

user-284

I have been using Get_iplayer on Windows (Win 7 64) for several years and today accidently uninstalled it (ver 2.83) when trying to uninstall the VLC component. I reinstalled it (ver2.85) using the latest installer including all components except VLC.

However, it is now not working. Trying to record radio and TV fails (see attached log). The uninstall did not remove my settings or history and the only setting I changed following the install was to add a VLC path by --prefs-add --VLC="etc. (See log)

I was a PVR user, and most of the settings were set up using that, but by following the e-mails for several years I have now learnt to use the command line for most things (although still use the web interface too).

Any ideas what I should do - or try uninstalling it all, deleting my prefs etc. Is there a separate preferences file from the user based one?

Any help much appreciated.

Iplayer-output.txt

user-2

The output you attached doesn't provide good test cases. For Heidi, get_iplayer is telling you that you already downloaded it:

Quote:Already Completed at: 5760.035 sec Duration=5.760 sec

If you delete the previous output file, re-download with
Code:
--force
in your command line. The above message indicates the file still exists.

For Newsround, you are trying to download an episode that is no longer available from iPlayer, as the get_iplayer output indicates:

Quote:WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid with version(s): default

Daily news programmes generally disappear after 24 hours.

If you do more testing, find a programme that you've never downloaded, verify it is available on the iPlayer site, then download it with the
Code:
--verbose
option in your command line to capture all available output.

user-2

To answer your other question: yes, there is a system preferences file separate from user prefs. However, you should never touch that file - it is managed by the installer. Your output doesn't indicate any problems with preferences.

user-284

Thanks for the reply.

The Heidi radio programme hadn't been downloaded before - but I tried a new programme that I knew had not and that returned the same error. I then found another new programme and ran it with --force and that also failed in the same way. A verbose log is attached.

The found the Newsround in the get_iplayer index as selected it as it would be short - however, running it again on a regular programme it worked. So sorry about that.

The radio is where there is an issue still.

Radio.txt

user-2

You have a trailing unmatched quote in the value for
Code:
outputradio
. I think that is messing up the construction of the output file path. Remove it and try again.

user-284

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That has fixed it.

I cleared the prefs and it worked. I have then have added them back in correctly (checking the wiki carefully for syntax) and it still works.

I have tried to say this before through the old email lists but I could never work out how to get my contribution accepted, but I really appreciate all you've done on this project. I'm a secondary school teacher and having a library of clips is sooo useful. I came to this project after Po_Ru's programme stopped working. I signed up to the list and looked at many emails in wonder and their technical content. Slowly though I started to understand some simpler things and migrated from the Web interface to the command line. Seeing similar questions helped me learn and also inspired me and so I bought a Pi and thought I'd learn some of this (I was a Spectrum BASIC generation user).

So thank you for what you've done on the project (and the other regular contributors) - it really is a huge amount of work you've done, but thank you also for inspiring me to learn.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info