These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Keep Programmes forever?

user-1271

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm confused as to whether get_iplayer allows you to keep programmes forever. The site's homepage says it doesn't allow you to keep programmes past the 30 day limit, but many users and the tutorial video linked on the site say that get_iplayer does let your keep programmes forever, so I'm confused, which is it? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, I would just like to know so I know what to expect.

user-493

You're confusing the BBC iPlayer with get-iplayer. The former has a thirty day limit and files are automatically deleted at the end of that period, whereas get_iplayer allows you to download programmes and retain them indefinitely.

user-1271

(08-05-2016, 04:57 PM)You're confusing the BBC iPlayer with get-iplayer. The former has a thirty day limit and files are automatically deleted at the end of that period, whereas get_iplayer allows you to download programmes and retain them indefinitely.

Thank you for the answer! Though, I hadn't got them confused because on get_iplayer's feature page it does say: "get_iplayer does not allow you to get around the BBC's DRM or geo-location checks. You need to have a UK IP address to use get_iplayer, just like you would if you were using the BBC iPlayer website. It will also remove content after 30 days - just like BBC iPlayer Desktop," which confused me as every user seems to be saying the opposite, but thank you for the response!

user-586

Quote:"You need to have a UK IP address to use get_iplayer, just like you would if you were using the BBC iPlayer website."

is only true for TV -
BBC Radio has not got DRM
nor is it blocked by IP (except on very rare occasions).
I've never noticed Radio being deleted after 30 days
of being downloaded by get_iplayer.

user-1271

(08-05-2016, 08:48 PM)"You need to have a UK IP address to use get_iplayer, just like you would if you were using the BBC iPlayer website."

is only true for TV -
BBC Radio has not got DRM
nor is it blocked by IP (except on very rare occasions).
I've never noticed Radio being deleted after 30 days
of being downloaded by get_iplayer.
So does this mean that TV IS deleted after 30 days?

user-586

Quote:So does this mean that TV IS deleted after 30 days?

I don't do TV because I am out of the UK so I don't really know.
But:
any file you download for TV can always be copied to another folder where neither bbc nor get_iplayer will
know how to delete it.
If in that new folder  it stops working after 30 days then the DRM is doing its job -
and it is not our job here to discuss how to defeat it.

user-493

Just to repeat, I have radio and tv programmes that I downloaded a few years ago using get_iplayer and they are all still on my PC and totally playable. There is NO DRM on those downloads. But as the previous poster has inferred maybe we shouldn't discuss this any more in an open forum.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info