These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Need help recording a program please

user-244

Hi, I have installed get_iplayer on OS X (10.9) per instructions and am trying to use the web GUI to download a program but it is not working.  Here are relevant details:

get_player version 2.85
followed instructions to install here: https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/mac-o...all-guide/
launch using this command: get_iplayer.cgi --listen 127.0.0.1 --port 1935

I am able to navigate web GUI and search for program.  I select it and click record button and get the following on the web page:
Recording The Following Programmes

HARDtalk - Dr Nayna Patel - Medical Director, Akanksha Infertility Clinic, India (b03j0tyc)

INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid found in cache
Matches:
394: HARDtalk - Dr Nayna Patel - Medical Director, Akanksha Infertility Clinic, India, BBC News, News,TV, default,

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes (flashvhigh,flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal,flashlow) available for this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
ERROR: Failed to record 'HARDtalk - Dr Nayna Patel - Medical Director, Akanksha Infertility Clinic, India (b03j0tyc)'
Recording complete

In the terminal window I get:

INFO: Starting Recording Now
DEBUG: get_iplayer options: "pid=b03j0tyc" "type=tv" "modes=default" "force=0" "refreshfuture=0" "subtitles=0" "hide=0" "thumb=0"
INFO: Command: ./get_iplayer --nopurge --nocopyright --expiry=999999999 --hash --webrequest pid%3Db03j0tyc?type%3Dtv?modes%3Ddefault?force%3D0?refreshfuture%3D0?subtitles%3D0?hide%3D0?thumb%3D0
DEBUG: Forked STDOUT reader with PID 69683
DEBUG: Forked STDERR reader with PID 69684

I know I managed to do this a couple months ago, but now I can't get it to work and can't remember what bit I may have missed to make this work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

user-2

I suspect that you are trying to access iPlayer from outside the UK. See the first question in the FAQs:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/faqs/

user-244

Thanks for the fast reply. You are correct. However, my IP does not seem blocked as I can access the show and watch it on BBC Player. I also tried a London based VPN as a test and get the same result.

Is there some more detailed log or some test you can think of to confirm what might be going wrong for me??

user-2

Sorry, you're on your own with VPNs and proxies. The "No specified modes" error is a fairly reliable indicator of geo-blocking, but all I can offer is the obvious: all VPNs and proxies are not equal. Some may be blocked and some may not provide a working IP even though in the UK. And even if you have managed to slip through the net and access the programme on the iPlayer site, that doesn't necessarily mean get_iplayer can access the programme.

user-244

Fair enough. I think I know where to focus my efforts now at least. On suggestion, since you seem to be a (the?) developer would be to make the error more clear and to mention something about geo-blocking. Thanks again.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info