Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Modes: hlshd1 versus hvfhd1

user-1232

Thank you for reading this.

While downloading this programme, and enabling full debug output:
b0760h88
at URL
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07...d-maverick

I noticed that there were three HD modes, and two classes of bandwidth. These are two of the three mode lines, the third being hvfhd2 with all other parameters identical to hvfhd1

get_iplayer Output:

Found mode hlshd1: (gip_hls_iplayer_2325) hls h264 1280x720 2325kbps stream (CDN: akamai_hls_open/10)
...and...

get_iplayer Output:

Found mode hvfhd1: (gip_hvf_iplayer_5380) hls h264 1280x720 5380kbps stream (CDN: mf_limelight_uk_hls/2)
The bit-rate of the hvfhd1 is more than twice that of hlshd1.

When I instruct get_iplayer to use --modes=best then hlshd1, at 2325kbps is selected. I need to instruct --modes=hvfhd1 to receive 5380kbps.

Can anyone tell me:
  1. Is one mode going to give greater picture quality over the other?
  2. If so, can the higher bitrate be chosen as the default stream for --modes=best?

yours,
J

user-1232

Quick partial answer: the hvfhd feeds are 50p, whereas hlshd feeds are 25p. So that's the way to record programmes transmitted interlaced on the network.

user-2

(02-04-2016, 09:59 AM)Is one mode going to give greater picture quality over the other?
As you discovered, the only real difference is frame rate, so for most programmes the doubled bandwidth and storage required for higher frame rate probably would be wasted.
(02-04-2016, 09:59 AM)If so, can the higher bitrate be chosen as the default stream for --modes=best?
EDIT: Use--tvmode=hvf (best quality selected by default)

For other users: this post refers to the development version of get_iplayer, which is completely unsupported and may not work for all users. It also refers to a feature that - like all unreleased features - may be removed at any time.

user-1040

Interesting......
I still use tvmode=best and radiomode=best.

They would appear to still be valid, or should I use something else???

Martin

user-2

You don't need to use either one - they are the default settings.

user-1040

Thanks Dinky, never know that........
Martin

These forums are archived

See this post for further info