These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

AAC tracks skipping after get_iplayer upgrade

user-177

I'm finding that AAC radio downloads are skipping to the end of the track after playing for a few minutes. This seems consistent for all ACC created with the new get_iplay (v2.84). Has anything changes with the AAC encoding with this release?

I'm using OSX 10.8.5 for the get_iplayer downloading. It fails on iPod Nano 1.0.2PC 6th ad 7th generation, but works on the iMac iTunes 11.1.2 but I notice a distinct jump in the track.

If I convert the AAC to MP3 everything is fine. Unfortunately, setting the get_iplayer options (aactomp3 1) does not seem to have any affect to automatically convert all AAC to MP3 (another defect?).

Has anyone notice this behaviour on the ipod? Any fix or workaround?

user-2

Post a log with
Code:
--verbose
added to the command line for a download of a programme that skips. Since you're on a Mac, tell us what versions of rtmpdump, ffmpeg and atomicparsley you used, and where you got them (the verbose log won't be specific enough). What do you mean by "a distinct jump" with iTunes? Does it skip any content or not? If so, how much? And exactly where in the programme does the skip occur? Is there some pattern to the skips, e.g., do they occur in the same spot or have the same duration? If you look a the media properties of a bad file with MediaInfo or a similar application, does it show the programme as having the expected duration, or has some content actually been chopped out (as opposed to being skipped during playback)?

As for the
Code:
aactomp3
setting, it works fine here. Where did you set it? Did you use
Code:
--prefs-add
? Again, post a log with
Code:
--verbose
added to the command line so we can see what is going on.

user-2

See this thread in the GiA issue tracker:

https://code.google.com/p/get-iplayer-au...ail?id=300

user-177

Yes - same symptoms. I'll post the details request later today, if you still need them.

user-2

Just post the info for your ffmpeg. I doubt I could replicate any test case since I only have an older iPod to use.

Replace ffmpeg as I described in the other thread, then tell me if it works.

Moving this thread to OS X forum.

user-177

It works for me - no skips!

Old ffmpeg:

FFmpeg version git-44002d8, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
built on Jan 25 2011 21:13:27 with gcc 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)

New ffmpeg:

ffmpeg version 1.2.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
built on Jun 18 2013 00:18:40 with gcc 4.2.1 (GCC) (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

Re the other question on aactomp3. I ran get_iplayer with the --prefs_add and the options properties were updated. But, I normally run GiA as a Mac application from the launch pad (not command line) and I expected it to load the properties from the options file. It doesn't appear to use this file. It would be convenient to add it to the dialog as an option.

user-2

Thanks for testing. That seems to confirm ffmpeg as the culprit.

As for the aactomp3 option, you should have said you were using GiA. GiA has an embedded version of get_iplayer that is separate from any other installation of get_iplayer. It's not intended to be configured separately, though it can be. You just need to use the embedded script and point it to the correct profile directory. The command would be:

Code:
/usr/bin/perl "/Applications/Get iPlayer Automator.app/Contents/Resources/get_iplayer.pl" --profile-dir="$HOME/Library/Application Support/Get iPlayer Automator" --prefs-add --aactomp3

This will someday become a GiA option, but other changes are necessary before that can happen.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info