These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Change location of download_history file

user-1163

Hi all,

I was hoping to be able to use a couple of different machines to download from (not at the same time) and wanted the same download_history file to be referenced by both machines (again, not at the same time) on a local NAS.

Is it possible to change the default location of the download_history file from "c:\users\username\.get_iplayer\download_history" to something like "n:\.get_iplayer\download_history"? This is a windows environment.

I can't locate a switch to set this within the docs and am not to sure about changing the code within the .pl files

Many thanks in advance

Paul

user-2

Not exactly. You can use --profile-dir (command line only), but keep in mind that defines the location for everything: cache files, pvr jobs, pvr lock files, presets, and plugins, as well as download history.  In theory you could use a shared profile directory, but you would have to be careful never to use it simultaneously from multiple machines, especially for PVR runs.

user-1051

I have done this so that GIP uses my Dropbox folder, which means that download history, options, and PVR files are all synchronised across all of my Dropbox enabled PCs. This is how I did it:
On each PC, create a user environment variable GIP_DROPBOX = c:\<path to Dropbox folder>
In get_iplayer.pl, replace USERPROFILE and ALLUSERSPROFILE on lines 415, 416, 426, and 427 with GIP_DROPBOX.

I have only done this with version 2.94, and I am by no means knowledgeable about these this things but it works for me. YMMV.

kind regards
Kate

user-1163

Perfect solutions - many thanks both ;-)

user-2

(18-01-2016, 07:35 AM)In get_iplayer.pl, replace USERPROFILE and ALLUSERSPROFILE on lines 415, 416, 426, and 427
Definitely not recommended. Replacing ALLUSERSPROFILE would hide the system options file on Windows, which could break get_iplayer depending on how you installed and configured it (though I should say that the system options file will be removed in the next release).  If - as it appears - you know how to set environment variables in Windows, then just set GETIPLAYERUSERPREFS to point to your shared directory.  It is the equivalent of --profile-dir.

user-1163

Thanks user-2, will follow your advice - much appreciated

user-1051

perfect, thanks user-2! A much simpler solution than my workaround.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info