These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Web_PVR slow to respond

user-275

Greetings,

I've been a grateful get_iplayer user for several years. My primary use is on a homebrew HTCP that was windows 7 for several years but has been Ubuntu 14 for the past 18 months.  I've never had a bit of trouble - other than the changes to BBC services that we have all experienced. Recently, however, I had a disk begin to go bad, so I rebuilt the system with a new disk. All the hardware is otherwise identical and the base build of Ubuntu is a patched-up-to-date 14.04 - just as the system was with the failed disk. 

Everything still works, but the web_pvr interface (which my wife and kids like very much) is now extremely slow to load or respond. The refresh and capture all works perfectly with background cron jobs. It's just the user interface for searching and selecting new episodes to record that seems to have a problem. 

I'm guessing that I've somehow set the cache to cache the knowable universe. Here are my settings from --prefs-show

output = /home/home/Videos
refreshexcludegroupstv = none
tvmode = best
type = tv
refresh = 1

Looking through the manual, I don't see what refresh = 1 is intended to do. Not sure how that got there. I've got refreshexcludegroupstv set to none because we enjoy regional news. That was also part of my configuration on the prior system that had no problems with web_pvr.

Any insights very much appreciated.

user-2

Remove the refresh entry. That makes get_iplayer refresh its cache every time it runs, which you don't want. It will slow things down noticeably.

user-2

Actually, it may be that you want to force a refresh when you run get_iplayer from cron. In order to avoid causing problems with the web pvr on the same machine, use a preset with your get_iplayer commands in crontab.

user-275

Thanks Dinky. I'll remove the refresh from the preferences. I'll then add a refresh in crontab 5 minutes before I run the PVR task.

Chris

These forums are archived

See this post for further info