These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

31-12-2015: suddenly unable to download any TV show on get-iplayer

user-416

Hello,

Just before starting this post, I checked which get-iplayer release I have on my laptop. Turns out it is 2.94 - which, to the best of my knowledge, is the latest.

Earlier this week, I downloaded some BBC programs without the slightest problem. The Konsole command normally in use is the simplest: get-player "<program>".  But when I attempted the same today, all I received was a variety of error messages. One is that iPlayer informs me that it is unable to find the correct metadata. At another attempt, it assumes that I'm living outside of Britain (which I'm not).

Subsequently, I checked online for news on get-iplayer developments. The latest I found dated from 2-6-2015, reporting that 'Auntie' continues to remove data. So this is all very confusing. 

What's going on? Is there any way around my current difficulty? Or is 'Auntie' now deliberately out to destroy get-iplayer?

tnob

user-1115

Hi Folks :) I am getting this

get_iplayer v2.94, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Getting tv Index Feeds (this may take a few minutes)

WARNING: Failed to download programme schedule http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcalba/prog
rammes/schedules/last_week.xml

user-359

The Iplayer site crashed yesterday completely, so maybe we have to wait for them to rebuild the index structure?

At the moment, the pid method is working so hopefully all will return to normal soon.

user-1116

The BBC Press Office @bbcpress on Twitter announced "a technical issue affecting the BBC website" at around 9 am GMT on 31 December 2015.

Today's Mail and Mirror headlines are a bit more apocalyptic, but issues seem to be widespread and ongoing at the moment.

user-416

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your advice.

The option get-iplayer "<program>" still fails to work as it should. However, get-iplayer --type=tv "<program>" seems to offer a workable solution, as I discovered in the meantime.

Phew.

tnob

user-2

(31-12-2015, 11:27 AM)WARNING: Failed to download programme schedule http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcalba/prog
rammes/schedules/last_week.xml
This has nothing to do with the OP issue, and there is no evidence of this problem now. If it is still happening for you, then it must be localised to your upstream connection to the BBC.
(31-12-2015, 11:12 AM)Earlier this week, I downloaded some BBC programs without the slightest problem. The Konsole command normally in use is the simplest: get-player "<program>".  But when I attempted the same today, all I received was a variety of error messages. One is that iPlayer informs me that it is unable to find the correct metadata. At another attempt, it assumes that I'm living outside of Britain (which I'm not).
get-player "<program>" only performs a search, not a download, assuming "<program>" is the name of a programme. Your description of error messages indicates that you did actually try to download something, but here is a new year's resolution for you: post specifics - your exact command line. I can't believe I still have to say it after all this time, but how do you expect help with searching for or downloading a programme if you don't even tell us what it is, or at least show the command you're using? 
(31-12-2015, 12:30 PM)The option get-iplayer "<program>" still fails to work as it should. However, get-iplayer --type=tv "<program>" seems to offer a workable solution, as I discovered in the meantime.
That makes no sense - those are exactly the same command (--type=tv is default). You have some other problem on your system. Again, post specifics.

user-2

I see that the BBC is reporting that their web sites were hit by a DDoS attack this morning. That could explain the above issues, though different users might have experienced problems accessing different resources. If there are still problems with specific programmes at your location, wait a while and try again.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info