These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

No specified modes () available for this programme with version 'default'

user-1104

hi,
i have just reinstalled my linux system and am having a strange error. i also get the error when downloading tv

Steve

Code:
$ get-iplayer --get 11284

get_iplayer Output:

get_iplayer v2.94, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
11284:    radio, Gideon Coe - Neil Young & Crazy Horse in concert, BBC 6 Music,

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes () available for this programme with version 'default'
INFO: Try using --modes=flashaaclow,flashaacstd,hlsaaclow,hlsaacstd
INFO: Checking existence of original version
INFO: No specified modes () available for this programme with version 'original'
INFO: Try using --modes=flashaaclow,flashaacstd,hlsaaclow,hlsaacstd
ERROR: Failed to record 'Gideon Coe - Neil Young & Crazy Horse in concert (b06q7113)'

user-2

It probably means you didn't install rtmpdump. Run same command with --verbose and look for this in output:

get_iplayer Output:

WARNING: Not using flash modes since rtmpdump is not found

user-1104

it looks like it is installed.

get_iplayer Output:

Matches:
11286: radio, Gideon Coe - The Velvet Underground live at the Matrix Club, San Francisco, BBC 6 Music,

INFO: Loaded history for first check.
INFO: Loading recordings history
INFO: Programme not in history
INFO: Programme metadata URL = http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06q70xd.xml
INFO: Getting page http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06q70xd.xml
INFO: Getting page http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector...p?cb=25596
INFO: Getting page http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector...p?cb=83920
INFO: Getting page http://cp401492-vh.akamaihd.net/i/prod_a...246608bd5a
WARNING: No HLS playlist returned (http://cp401492-vh.akamaihd.net/i/prod_a...246608bd5a)
INFO: Getting page http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector...p?cb=35274
WARNING: Not using HLS modes since ffmpeg is not found
INFO: Found mode flashaaclow1: (stream-uk-audio_streaming_aac_vlow) rtmp aac 48kbps stream (CDN: limelight/20)
INFO: Found mode flashaaclow2: (stream-uk-audio_streaming_aac_vlow) rtmp aac 48kbps stream (CDN: akamai/10)
INFO: Found mode flashaacstd1: (stream-uk-audio_streaming_aac_med) rtmp aac 128kbps stream (CDN: limelight/20)
INFO: Found mode flashaacstd2: (stream-uk-audio_streaming_aac_med) rtmp aac 128kbps stream (CDN: akamai/10)
INFO: Getting page http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06q70vt.rdf
INFO: Using 'original' version (b06q70vt) as 'default'
INFO: Programme not in history
INFO: Will search for versions: default,original
INFO: Mode list:
INFO: Version = default
INFO: Try using --modes=flashaaclow,flashaacstd
INFO: Version = original
INFO: No specified modes () available for this programme with version 'original'
INFO: Try using --modes=flashaaclow,flashaacstd
ERROR: Failed to record 'Gideon Coe - The Velvet Underground live at the Matrix Club, San Francisco (b06q70xd)'

user-2

You don't have ffmpeg installed, either - you need both. That is sort of a bug in 2.94, but you really want to have both ffmpeg and atomicparsley installed as well as rtmpdump. Read the installation instructions in the wiki - they tell you how to do a full installation.

user-1104

Ok, thanks. I had to have a couple of attempts and eventualy stripped every reference to get-ipayer out before it would install .

Steve

user-2

Any problems you had installing ffmpeg had nothing to do with get_iplayer. It does not depend upon get_iplayer in any way - that wouldn't even make sense. You didn't bother to identify your distro, but it doesn't matter - this is true for every distro.

user-1108

My New PC Spec:-

ATX case with 500Watt PSU
Gigabyte Socket 1150 Micro ATX Motherboard - GA-H81M-S2H
Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz - BX80646G3220
8GB DDR3 1600MHz DIMM - PC3-12800
128GB SATA-III Solid State Drive - Kingston V300
500GB HDD Seagate Barracuda SATA3 - ST500DM002
Internal SATA Multi-format DVD Writer – SH2-244DB
Multi Card Reader – CR005V4
Windows 7 Professional – 64 Bit

Running Ubuntu 15.10 64Bit

(have been using Ubuntu since 2009 from 09.04 to now 12.04 on a Dell PC Dimension 2400)

Please can anyone advise me as to were I can get help with Get_iPlayer.
Have been using the program for a number of years, but just installed it on my new PC .
I can see a full of programs but am unable to record anything. These are errors I get......Can you help?

get_iplayer Output:

richard@richard-H81M-S2H:~$ get-iplayer --get 1903
Matches:
1903: Weather for the Week Ahead - 16/12/2015, BBC One, , default
INFO: Try using --modes=flashhd,flashhigh,flashlow,flashstd,flashvhigh,hlshd,hlshigh,hlslow,hlsstd,hlsvhigh,subtitles
INFO: Try using --modes=flashhd,flashhigh,flashlow,flashstd,flashvhigh,hlshd,hlshigh,hlslow,hlsstd,hlsvhigh,subtitles
ERROR: Failed to record 'Weather for the Week Ahead - 16/12/2015 (b06rwpvy)'
richard@richard-H81M-S2H:~$ get-iplayer |less
richard@richard-H81M-S2H:~$ get-iplayer --get 1758

Matches:
1758: The Secret Life of Rockpools - -, BBC Four, , default
INFO: Checking existence of audiodescribed version
INFO: No specified modes () available for this programme with version 'audiodescribed'
INFO: Try using --modes=flashhigh,hlshigh
ERROR: Failed to record 'The Secret Life of Rockpools - - (b01rtdr4)'
richard@richard-H81M-S2H:~$

Thanks for any help

Richard_42

user-1108

Please you tell me how to resolve the Error:-

WARNING: Required ffmpeg/avconv does not exist - not converting flv file
INFO: File name prefix = Absolute_Genius_Super_Tech_with_Dick__Dom_-_7._Dick_and_Doms_Tech_b06s67cv_default
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected.

user-2

Stop making things hard on yourself. Read the Ubuntu installation instructions in the wiki.

user-1108

Thanks user-2 for your help.

I am running Ubuntu 15.10 64bit on the new pc.

I have installed get_iplayer from Ubuntu Software centre get_iplayer 2.94-pp23, this works Ok on both my new and old PC.

So what is the difference between this and the get_iplayer from this site (your site) please.

regards,

Richard_42

user-2

get_iplayer 2.94 is get_iplayer 2.94 - that is the point of version numbers.  If the PPA maintainer augments it in some way, there will be something other than "-ppa23" appended to the version string. Ubuntu has its own rules for package version strings.  I only concern myself with the get_iplayer version number, which will always be preserved. Your problem had nothing to do with the version of get_iplayer, but rather with the packaging.  You never explained how you originally attempted to install get_iplayer, but it doesn't matter - I could see that you weren't using the PPA package. 

All you and other Ubuntu users need to know is: follow the instructions we provide in the wiki to access the PPA.  As the instructions tell you, don't use the get_iplayer package provided in Ubuntu repositories. Ubuntu just blindly duplicates the Debian package - which is too limited for most users - even though it was removed from Debian stable for their last release. It also will quickly become obsolete once frozen in a LTS release (presumably the reason it was removed from Debian stable). It's a minor mess, but the person who maintains the PPA ensures that you don't have to worry about it.

user-1108

Thanks again for your reply.

As I (and my brain) are in our seventies also suffering from dyslexia I have found it difficult to follow instructions.

Please be so kind as to point me to your version of get_iplayer and instructions as I would very like to use it.

Kind regards,

Richard_42

user-30

Click the link below and follow the instructions:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/ubuntu/...1473c569c4

For reference, you can find this page by clicking the 'Downloads' link in the top menu and then from the resultant page clicking 'Ubuntu'.

user-2

For future readers, it's worth trying to dispel the confusion that has been sown here:

1. get_iplayer is the same no matter where you get it. It is packaged for various Linux distros, and the packagers may add a suffix to the version string to conform to the conventions for their particular distros (e.g., the "-ppa23" you see for Ubuntu), but the application is the same.

2. You originally installed get_iplayer from the package included in the Ubuntu repositories (there was no "-ppa23" suffix in the version string). As I've said, the Ubuntu packages should never be used.  They are incomplete at best (ffmpeg is not included by default, as you saw from your original error message) and broken at worst.  Always use the get-iplayer PPA, as explained by the instructions in our wiki.

3. In your follow-up post you said you installed get_iplayer 2.94-ppa23 with Ubuntu Software Centre. That would not have been possible unless you had already read our instructions and added the get-iplayer PPA repository to your system. You said yourself it works for you, so there is nothing else you need to do. There is no other method of installation, no other source of get_iplayer for your system, no other instructions to read - nada.

user-1332

Richard_42 asked:
Quote:Please [can] you tell me how to resolve the Error:-
WARNING: Required ffmpeg/avconv does not exist - not converting flv file
I suspect this error appeared after upgrading Linux: I had the same problem after upgrading LinuxMint to release 16 or 17.

Before reinstalling get_iplayer, check your ~/.get_iplayer/options file.  If this includes:
Code:
ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg
you will get the error, and recorded .flv files will not be transcoded to .mp4.

The problem occurs because Ubuntu has replaced ffmpeg with avconv.

Confirm /usr/bin/avconv is installed, with:
Code:
avconv -version
avconv version 9.18-6:9.18-0ubuntu0.14.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the Libav developers
 built on Mar 16 2015 13:19:10 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
avconv 9.18-6:9.18-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
libavutil     52.  3. 0 / 52.  3. 0
libavcodec    54. 35. 0 / 54. 35. 0
libavformat   54. 20. 4 / 54. 20. 4
libavdevice   53.  2. 0 / 53.  2. 0
libavfilter    3.  3. 0 /  3.  3. 0
libavresample  1.  0. 1 /  1.  0. 1
libswscale     2.  1. 1 /  2.  1. 1

If avconv is not present, install it with:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libav-tools

Now edit your ~/.get_iplayer/options file.
Replace
Code:
ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg
with
Code:
avconv /usr/bin/avconv

At the same time, check the video modes and tvmode option settings:
If either list includes "flashhd", you will [probably] not get an HD recording: this mode has been split into "flashhd1" and "flashhd2".
In ~/.get_iplayer/options, replace any instances of flashhd with flashhd1,flashhd2.

Next time you record video with "get_iplayer --get", the standard output should show:
Code:
INFO: flashhd1,flashvhigh1,flashvhigh2,flashhigh1,flashhigh2,flashstd1,flashstd2,flashlow1,flashlow2 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashhd1 mode to record tv: <name>
INFO: File name prefix = <name>_default                
RTMPDump v2.4-n87-gita9f353c-ppa8~saucy
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Starting download at: 0.000 kB
Download complete
avconv version 9.18-6:9.18-0ubuntu0.14.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the Libav developers
  built on Mar 16 2015 13:19:10 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
[flv @ 0xbfd020] max_analyze_duration reached
Input #0, flv, from '<path>.flv':
INFO: Recorded <path>_default.mp4

INFO: MP4 tagging MP4 file

Started writing to temp file.
 Progress: =======================================================>100% |
 Finished writing to temp file.
--
Regards,
Mark

user-2

Don't put ffmpeg or avconv in your options file unless you have a custom build. Packaged versions will already be in $PATH. get_iplayer is coded to work around the avconv/ffmpeg silliness in recent version of Debian and Ubuntu. Ubuntu has switched back to ffmpeg for 16.04, so built-in support for avconv eventually will be removed from get_iplayer.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info