These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

getting started

user-1090

I have just installed get_player on windows 8 computer using the windows installer. I can't work out how to run the programme and get started. I have looked in programmes and found a file called Get_ iplayer but can't work out what to do. can you help me please

user-30

Why don't you check out the 'guides' section here on this site, that would be a good place to start at least...

user-1090

Thanks for that, I have looked at them but my problem seems to happen before any of the guides start. When I open the file get-inlayer I see a list of files and I can't determine which one to open as none of them appear to be a programme file

user-30

What do you mean 'when I open the file get_inlayer [sic] I see a list of files'?

How do you normally open programmes on your machine?

If you're on Windows 8 and have installed get_iplayer correctly then just press the Windows key or go to the start menu and then literally just start typing 'get_iplayer' and the get_iplayer menu item will be retrieved. Well, they'll probably be two, one for the command line version and one for the graphical one that opens in a browser window.

Then just click on whichever you want.

user-1090

there does not appear to be an icon on the start page for get_player. does this mean I have not installed correctly.

I usually open programmes on the desktop if there is an icon, if not I use the start menu but Get_player does not appear to be there. the only place I can find it is on disc C on a folder in programmes which is where the long list of things appear. Sorry to be thick.

user-2

If you fixed your version of Win 8 to use a third-party proper Start menu, then use the get_iplayer or Web PVR Manager menu shortcut installed there, as you would for any other application.  If not, then use the get_iplayer or Web PVR Manager tile on the Start screen, as you would for any other application. If they are not on your Start screen for some reason, go the Apps view from the Start screen and look under G or W, respectively, again as you would for any other application. If they are not found, then your installation failed and you need to re-install.

user-1090

Thanks user-2 that worked really well. I had forgotten about Apps view as `i only use the PC for downloading.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info