These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Comodo firewall breaks get_iplayer

Pages: 1 2

user-1061

This command starts the tv index feeds (attached)

user-2

Thanks. That tells me the problem is with cmd.exe and not get_iplayer.  The start menu shortcut fails because it invokes cmd.exe, which then starts get_iplayer, yet you can run get_iplayer fine from cmd.exe opened standalone. That is a bit baffling in itself. It could be a permissions problem with your system directory, it could be interference from a "security" package, it could be the phase of the moon. Perhaps someone here with a higher tolerance for Windows can shed some further light on the issue, but I'm throwing in the towel.

user-763

Run the command 
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --search dontshowanymatches
 from an Administrator command window after changing directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer, if it runs OK (no access denied message) then check the permissions as follows:
Right click on Windows\System32 folder, select properties, then select security tab. The Users group should have Read & Execute, List folder contents and Read ticked in the allow column.
If they are OK then check cmd.exe right click again and select Properties, then select security tab as before. The users group should have Read & Execute and Read ticked in the allow column.
If these are OK then as Dinky says it is likely to be a security package or possibly a registry corruption, I'm inclined not to spend too much time checking the moon phase[Image: /image...s/wink.png]

user-1061

@user-2 many thanks for your perseverance it has narrowed the problem down

@erffmt I'm getting an access denied message when i run that command (attached)

user-763

Did you check the permissions on Windows\System32 and cmd.exe? Something is stopping you accessing cmd.exe, if it is not permissions it could be security policy setting, antivirus/firewall software etc.
Don't think you are going to fix it toing and froing on this forum.
If you can't get someone knowledgeable to investigate the issue I would suggest a clean install of Windows 10 and reload all your software packages.
Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm throwing in the towel as well.

user-1061

(17-10-2015, 09:11 PM)Did you check the permissions on Windows\System32 and cmd.exe? Something is stopping you accessing cmd.exe, if it is not permissions it could be security policy setting, antivirus/firewall software etc.
Don't think you are going to fix it toing and froing on this forum.
If you can't get someone knowledgeable to investigate the issue I would suggest a clean install of Windows 10 and reload all your software packages.
Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm throwing in the towel as well.

Yes all permissions are in order and same problem with firewall and av turned off. Thanks for your help anyway. Much as I love get_iplayer I can stand the dread thought of reinstalling windows and all my software again at this point. 

If anyone has solved or has any ideas what might be stopping access to cmd.exe i'd be grateful if you could post here.

user-30

@Fullyabsorbent

I'm late to the party here but you said your firewall/AV was off but have you tried ensuring that UAC is turned off too? It can cause all sorts of odd issues like this.

You could also try creating a new user and seeing if you experience the same behaviour using that account.

As to the original error, googling the error code indicates it's a dll problem (possibly that the .ddl is not digitally signed or similar issue). I found the link below specifically referring to this issue with cmd.exe, so you could follow the steps user-2 suggested and then check the Open Event Viewer log as it suggests for more detailed information:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...5e46914564

As a now non-windows user I can't test anything directly but hopefully that offers a couple more avenues to try.

user-1061

@SquarePenguin

Thanks for your suggestions. I have disabled UAC and I Ran get_iplayer as a new user but that didn't solve the problem.

I took a look at events viewer but couldn't see anything related to the problem - although i'm not 100% sure what exactly i should be looking for in there. Remember when i ran SFC/ Scannow i did not get any errors.

user-2

I'm retrieving my towel temporarily...

@user-1061: Needless to say, it's not worth stripping your machine to bare metal just for get_iplayer.  The thing to do now is see how well the get_iplayer CLI works.  You know you can run it from a command prompt, so try some searches and downloads. As long as your command shell is messed up, I don't think you will ever be able to use the web pvr because it shells out to run the CLI for every operation. 

As you might have gleaned from the thread that SP referenced, problems with the command shell may not be related to cmd.exe per se. Other things can interfere with initialising the command shell environment. You may find clues in the security log in event viewer (though a bit unlikely), or you may find clues profiling cmd.exe in ProcMon (though it's hard to say). We have seen similar problems caused by obsolete DOS drivers left over from old Windows installations or obsolete games, or by startup crapware installed with third-party drivers.  You already know get_iplayer works fine if you boot in safe mode, which implies that your system files and permissions are OK and the problem lies elsewhere. Only you know what you have installed on your system.  For signs, look at startup entries in registry and start menu, check content of system PATH environment variable, maybe even check your autoexec.nt file if you have one.

As an alternative, get_iplayer CLI and web pvr both work fine with Cygwin (you'll need packages from Cygwin Ports for dependencies). And of course, you always have the option to get VirtualBox, install your favourite Linux/Unix, and run get_iplayer from there.  Just point your output directory to a directory shared with the host machine. 

Towel relinquished once more...

user-1061

Problem Solved!

I was just about to throw in the towel myself but decided to give Revo Uninstaller a try. Uninstalled get_iplayer in Advanced mode which deep scans the registry. Revo simply employed the get_iplayer uninstaller to to its job but came up with several registry entries which were mainly (if not exclusively) tied into permissions with my firewall (comondo). (I had previously scanned the registry for any remaining get_iplayer entries after a previous manual uninstall but none had shown up). I selected these and deleted them, restarted, reinstalled get_iplayer with the firewall off and hey presto. seems to be up and running. Many thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
Pages: 1 2

These forums are archived

See this post for further info