These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

end of non-UK downloads?

user-977

A few days ago all get_iplayer and Get iPlayer Automator downloads from BBC completely stopped working. It is presumably due to this:  https://www.vpncompare.co.uk/bbc-iplayer...vpn-users/

For a long time using a proxy or VPN to retrieve program info worked and HD flash content (--mode=best) could be streamed without the proxy or VPN because even though Akamai did geo-blocking Level3 did not.  That changed a while back and it became necessary to do HLS streaming (--mode=hlsbest).  (I don't know which CDNs were providing that content.)  That worked for a while, but as of a few days ago, the BBC must have forced multiple changes at once.  Suddenly HLS streaming stopped working (outside the UK) and so did full VPN routing of either flash or HLS at any resolution, for my VPN at least.  According to the linked article a couple of VPNs still worked at the time, but I'm guessing the BBC will continue to clean up all VPN access (even though it hurts UK residents who use VPN for other reasons).

Is there anything I'm missing as a workaround?  If full VPN routing is dead, for these purposes, it's back to torrents and usenet, I guess.  But I'd sure like to find a way to access the programs I love even though I don't live in the UK.  I would be ecstatic to pay a license fee, if they would let me, but with all the lawyers and conflicting economic interests I don't hold out hope of that happening in my lifetime.  Sigh.

user-2

Sorry, VPN access is strictly off-topic here (see forum rules). Thread is closed.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info