These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

50fps Downloads

user-599

Hi

I have already done a post about this in the "General Topics" forum but I get the impression from the answers that I have so far received that get_iplayer does not yet support 50fps. Am I correct?

If yes then I would be very grateful if the developers of get_iplayer could enable support for 50fps.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

user-2

The 50 fps streams are Adobe HDS. get_iplayer relies on rtmpdump and ffmpeg for downloading. The former will never support HDS, and the latter won't any time soon, not to mention all the old ffmpeg versions in the wild that will never support it. It is unlikely those streams will ever be available to get_iplayer.

user-599

Hi user-2

Thank you very much for your reply.

I suspect that you are unlikely to know the answer to this but I will ask you just in case: I have just downloaded a Firefox add-on called HDS Link Detector but for some reason, it can't detect the links on iPlayer pages. Do you have any idea why?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

user-2

I have no idea if it ever worked with iPlayer.

user-995

Quote:I have just downloaded a Firefox add-on called HDS Link Detector but for some reason, it can't detect the links on iPlayer pages.

I've just downloaded the same extension and was able to use the extension successfully. I needed to grab a php script from https://github.com/K-S-V/Scripts/blob/ma...obeHDS.php and install php and php5-curl in Ubuntu and the extension worked.

The extension gives you a link (actually two links. One for the ident and one for the programme video file) that you paste into your terminal to download the hds stream in the format of
Code:
php AdobeHDS.php --manifest <link to manifest file> --delete

Running the command downloaded the programme video file which was a flv file with an incomprehensible file name but I was able to use ffmpeg to convert the file to an mp4 (with acodec copy and vcodec copy) and play the file with VLC.

I'm not sure what licence the AdobeHDS.php script is using but I feel that this is more possible that the thread is suggesting so far.

I'm happy to share what I've got so far.

user-995

Quote:I'm not sure what licence the AdobeHDS.php script is using

https://github.com/K-S-V/Scripts/blob/ma...icense.txt says GPL v3

user-1006

Not sure if anyone else has noticed - but the "50fps" material currently appears to just be double framed 25p, so no quality improvement over 25p at 25fps - just a double sized file! (look at a segment in a video editor where you can scroll through frame by frame and you'll see every second frame is identical).

user-995

That's because BBC broadcasts stuff at 25fps to make it more film-like and the only way of up-framing that to 50fps is by double-framing it.

Try some of the sport output. I'm a rugby league fan (a rarity for a southerner) and watch The Super League Show and that's definitely 50fps in the higher HDS streams and the highlights of the FA Community Shield was 50fps.

EDIT: A Question Of Sport is 50fps and at 30 minutes long, shouldn't take long to download.

user-1043

(08-07-2015, 02:52 PM)The 50 fps streams are Adobe HDS. get_iplayer relies on rtmpdump and ffmpeg for downloading. The former will never support HDS, and the latter won't any time soon, not to mention all the old ffmpeg versions in the wild that will never support it. It is unlikely those streams will ever be available to get_iplayer.

I hope you will be able to support HDS/HLS because the BBC Blog post says they are going to "replace the current RTMP for Flash based players".

There is a Kodi addon in development to support the 50fps streams for viewing but not downloading: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239378

user-585

Quote:I hope you will be able to support HDS/HLS because the BBC Blog post says they are going to "replace the current RTMP for Flash based players".

This change has been known for quite some time and HLS modes are already supported in the current version of GiP.

HDS might never be supported by GiP.

user-1043

Are the HLS streams only going to be 25fps to your knowledge?

Answering my own question, it looks like you are on the case already. :)
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/issues/202

user-2

50 fps support released as hvfhd and hvfsd recording modes in get_iplayer 2.95

user-1043

Nice. :)

user-1026

(22-08-2015, 02:39 AM)Not sure if anyone else has noticed - but the "50fps" material currently appears to just be double framed 25p, so no quality improvement over 25p at 25fps - just a double sized file! (look at a segment in a video editor where you can scroll through frame by frame and you'll see every second frame is identical).

The audio is better though. The aac is 125kbps in the 50fps vids compared to 93kbps aac in the 25fps. So an audio improvement at least :-)

These forums are archived

See this post for further info