These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Ubuntu 14.04 radio over 7 days won't download

user-925

Hi, Thanks for all the work and today's post about the TV version being destroyed. The radio has been ruined too....for progs over 7 days old. Been using the PID formulae since the last changes but from 1225 BST couldn't download as far too slow and then just fails.

The 7 days or younger option seems to still work.

So wanted to inform you of this additional halt to usual system.

Hope can be fixed soon but reading the posts seems BBC might be intentionally halting us.

Such a shame. Pay licence fee, they have lots of download options of their own so why not just let it carry on?

Regards S

user-30

Could you provide the exact command you are using? I'd like to take a look at this.

user-585

I have to agree as far as radio goes downloads are slower than usual and I'm getting lots of errors

Code:
INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashaacstd1,flashaacstd2 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashaacstd1 mode to record radio: Sunday Night with Michael Ball -
03/05/2015

WARNING: Required ffmpeg/avconv does not exist - not converting flv file
INFO: File name prefix = Sunday_Night_with_Michael_Ball_-_03_05_2015_b05srq41_de
fault
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Starting download at: 0.000 kB
INFO: Metadata:
INFO:   duration              7244.80
INFO:   moovPosition          72.00
INFO:   audiocodecid          mp4a
INFO:   aacaot                2.00
INFO:   audiosamplerate       48000.00
INFO:   audiochannels         2.00
INFO: trackinfo:
INFO:   length                347750400.00
INFO:   timescale             48000.00
INFO:   language              und
INFO: sampledescription:
INFO:   sampletype            mp4a
28534.196 kB / 1739.54 sec (24.0%)
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
28609.467 kB / 1744.09 sec (24.0%)
INFO: Connection timed out, trying to resume.

Resuming download at: 28609.467 kB
33078.768 kB / 2000.28 sec (27.6%)
33154.007 kB / 2004.84 sec (27.6%)

Resuming download at: 33154.007 kB
44103.256 kB / 2656.11 sec (36.6%)
44114.604 kB / 2656.77 sec (36.6%)

Resuming download at: 44114.604 kB
113082.266 kB / 6845.01 sec (94.4%)
113093.611 kB / 6845.65 sec (94.4%)

Resuming download at: 113093.611 kB
119843.422 kB / 7244.78 sec (99.9%)
Download complete

user-30

I can't seem to replicate this, it seems more like connectivity issues the BBC's (or their CDN) end.

I was trying on a Mac though and found downloads slow but operational. I've got a Mint install that I'll try later which is close enough to Ubuntu.

user-585

I'm thinking it's possibly their CDN's. TV seems to be ok at the moment but radio downloads are slower and keep timing out but they are functional. Managed to get the above to download in one piece after 4 attempts at it.

user-925

Hi SquarePenguin and other posters.

Sorry late in thanking you for taking time to read my problems. I had to leave my pc and when returned seemed that the matter had been resolved and speeds were back to normal. Then couldn't find where I had posted my request for help so unable to reply....sorry, as now see that if I ticked the box at end I could get email if any replies left.

Have a problem today trying to download Kevin Eldon Will See You Now S1/4 from R4. Able to DL EP1 but for EP4 get a very fast run of data and NO download...tried x 4 times and nothing changed.

Does this resulting code make any sense/give idea what has happened. I know that sometimes Downloads fail but usually that coincides with the programme being unable to be streamed from the BBC site but this time the EP 4 plays fine streamed and the PID is the one I keep entering.

Any help appreciated.

Code I entered:

get-iplayer --type=radio --pid=b01m0pqk

The results are below:

get_iplayer Output:

get_iplayer 2.94-ppa23, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
 This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
 This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
 conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Episode-only pid detected
INFO: Trying pid: b01m0pqk using type: radio
INFO: Trying to stream pid using type radio
INFO: pid not found in radio cache
Matches:

INFO: flashaacstd1,flashaacstd2,flashaaclow1,flashaaclow2 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashaacstd1 mode to record radio: Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld
INFO: File name prefix = Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_default                 
RTMPDump v2.4-n87-gita9f353c-ppa8~saucy
Failed to open file! /home/john/Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_default.partial.m4a.flv
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream file /home/john/Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_default.partial.m4a.flv via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashaacstd1 mode
INFO: Trying flashaacstd2 mode to record radio: Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld
INFO: File name prefix = Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_default                 
Failed to open file! /home/john/Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_default.partial.m4a.flv
WARNING: Failed to stream file /home/john/Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_default.partial.m4a.flv via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashaacstd2 mode
INFO: Trying flashaaclow1 mode to record radio: Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld
INFO: skipping flashaaclow1 mode
INFO: Trying flashaaclow2 mode to record radio: Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld
INFO: skipping flashaaclow2 mode
INFO: Checking existence of original version
INFO: flashaacstd1,flashaacstd2,flashaaclow1,flashaaclow2 modes will be tried for version original
INFO: Trying flashaacstd1 mode to record radio: Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld
INFO: File name prefix = Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_original                 
Failed to open file! /home/john/Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_original.partial.m4a.flv
WARNING: Failed to stream file /home/john/Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_original.partial.m4a.flv via RTMP
INFO: Trying flashaacstd2 mode to record radio: Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld
INFO: File name prefix = Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_original                 
Failed to open file! /home/john/Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_original.partial.m4a.flv
WARNING: Failed to stream file /home/john/Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_original.partial.m4a.flv via RTMP
INFO: Trying flashaaclow1 mode to record radio: Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld
INFO: Trying flashaaclow2 mode to record radio: Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld
ERROR: Failed to record 'Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld (b01m0pqk)'

Thanks in advance

Sally

user-585

Things did get back to normal after a day or two.

Just tried that PID and it downloaded fine for me in flashaacstd.

Looks like it might be having trouble accessing /home/john/. Maybe try downloading to another location.

user-925

MON 27 7 15

Hello

Thanks for reply re the Kevin Eldon programme....tried to reply at time of posting but site blocked me for "Maintenance" or something.

I cannot work out why the Episode 4 will not download. I have no other problems with any other BBC radio programmes....or the other 3 in this series.

All radio/tv progs end up in the same 'home' folder so why this one would have a problem going to the same place just baffles me.

Any idea how I might resolve this before the programme vanishes in 3 days.

Great site and thanks for all support so far.

S

user-30

Sadly,

Go and delete the .partial.flv file in your download location, then download the episode again.

You might need to add --force to the command if it doesn't download or says it's already downloaded.

user-925

TUE 28 715
Thanks for the reply but am afraid do not understand what to do....WHERE do I "delete" the code that you recommend.

This is what I am entering in the terminal

and this does not produce ANY "partial file" in my usual download location.

Do you have a code that I can enter in the terminal that will remove the portion "partial flv" that seems to be the problem.

Any idea why just this ONE episode is causing this problem. The other 3 episodes d/loaded ok and ALL other radio d/loads working fine too. Could it be the VERY LONG TITLE that is causing the problem?

Thanks if you can get any time to further advise, much appreciated.

S

user-925

Just noticed the pasted code I gave had some extraneous details so here is the corrected version.

get-iplayer  --type=radio  --pid=b01m0pqk

user-30

I didn't say to delete any code, I said to delete the file. The output you provided suggests that there is a file called:

Code:
Kevin_Eldon_Will_See_You_Now_Series_1_-_4._The_One_with_Anubis_Almighty_Jackal-Headed_God_of_the_Egyptian_Underworld_b01m0pqk_default.partial.m4a.flv

...at the location:

/home/john/

Delete that file and try again.

(28-07-2015, 11:21 AM)This is what I am entering in the terminal

and this does not produce ANY "partial file" in my usual download location.

It does produce that file, because that's how get_iplayer works. It downloads the file as a .partial.m4a.flv file and it'll then convert that to a standard m4a file. Sometimes, when downloads get interrupted the .partial.m4a.flv file can get left behind and become 'corrupted' which means the download can't be resumed.

If you try a download when that partial file is there then get_iplayer will try and restart the download using that file. To start over and re-download the whole thing you need to go and delete that partial file to allow get_iplayer to do a clean download.

user-925

Thanks for the further reply but I cannot find ANY partial file in that directoy or anywhere....for that episode. When I enter the programme code there is a flurry of lines of code that are NOT the usual speed/response I get when I enter any other code to download a programme...this immediately showed that something was wrong.

If I have already downloaded something and go offline etc then DO get a partial flv file so have seen them before but not in this case.

Have just tried again and used --force but same "flurry" of lines of code in one second and nothing appears in the usual location. Have copied the code below.

get_iplayer Output:

john@john-0001:~$ get-iplayer --type=radio --pid=b01m0pqk --force
get_iplayer 2.94-ppa23, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Episode-only pid detected
INFO: Trying pid: b01m0pqk using type: radio
INFO: Trying to stream pid using type radio
INFO: pid not found in radio cache
Matches:

INFO: flashaacstd1,flashaacstd2,flashaaclow1,flashaaclow2 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Checking existence of original version
INFO: flashaacstd1,flashaacstd2,flashaaclow1,flashaaclow2 modes will be tried for version original
ERROR: Failed to record 'Kevin Eldon Will See You Now: Series 1 - 4. The One with Anubis, Almighty Jackal-Headed God of the Egyptian Underworld (b01m0pqk)'
john@john-0001:~$

Looks like this one will just have to remain in my own personal memory...though still do not understand why just one programme should not be working when streams [ie can curently LISTEN via Iplayer to the whole programme] fine.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Regards

S

user-30

It downloads fine here, the problem is on your local machine.

You're still getting the file error:

Code:

What is the output of ls -al /home/john/ (typed into the command line)?

user-585

To rule out problems at that location why not try downloading it to a different folder?

user-30

That wouldn't confirm if there is a file in that location, and if there isn't then something else might be going on, which would justify more time looking at this.

user-925

HELLO

Thanks for further replies and sorry to take up your time....I am resigned to the fact that this is the ONLY programme which is causing [just 1 episode from the 4 in the series which all d/loaded correctly.] so not worth troubling anyone further, with respect.

Have tried the ls -al /home/john/ code and seems to give an A - Z of all programmes still in the home folder [I like to move them to another folder once have eliminated the file image as that messes up my screen animations when am listening to them...as you just get a big blurry photo] but haven't had time of late to accomplish that task.

BUT there was no EP 4 KEVIN ELDON in that list.....I am certain that it is not to be found...ie the download just seems to fail in one second [usually a download for a 30 minute programme takes about 45 seconds to complete].

Don't know how to download a programme to a different location...just downloaded the g-ip programme and ran it and it automatically seemed to send all to the home folder...which suits me fine.

Once again thanks very much but don't wish to put anyone to any more bother on this matter, as am sure there are much more pressing problems from other users.

Regards

S

user-585

I have successfully downloaded this programme so that definitely works.

If you do want to try downloading to another location you can add --output="path_to_new_folder" to your command. That will only change the download location for that file. After that it will go back to using the default home folder.

user-30

You can find out how to download to another location by reading the guides (either TV or Radio, links on the navbar).

The behaviour you're experiencing with regard to the download error:

Quote:ie the download just seems to fail in one second [usually a download for a 30 minute programme takes about 45 seconds to complete]

...is the behaviour I'd expect to see when a partial file is left behind, so I think that's still the cause. Up to you if you want to post the list of files for others to take a look at but I'm pretty certain that''s what's going on here.

Also, another tip - add --no-artwork at the end of any download command you write into get_iplayer and it will omit artwork and save you doing that manually.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info