These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

"Run PVR" not actually running anything

user-70

I have get_iplayer and get_iplayer.cgi generally working well. I can search stuff and record individual shows (using the "Record" link) with no issues. However, if I instead queue shows (using the "Queue" link) and then run the PVR nothing happens. Enabling verbose then shows this:

Code:
INFO: User prefs dir: /var/www/get_iplayer//.get_iplayer
INFO: System options dir: /etc/get_iplayer/options
INFO: Loaded PVR search 'ONCE_b03bjgvb'
INFO: Loaded PVR search 'ONCE_b01jcc8b'
INFO: Loaded PVR search list
Running PVR Searches:

PVR Run complete

But nothing is actually downloaded :(

I had a look at get_iplayer (my $version = 2.83;) and it appears the problem is here:

Code:
my @names = ( grep !/$exclude_regex/i, grep /$pvr_name_regex/i, sort {lc $a cmp lc $b} keys %{$pvr} );

because @names is empty after this and thus the subsequent "for my $name ( @names )" block never runs.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,

Jeff

user-2

Still working OK here. A couple of things to start with:

What OS and version are you using? What version of Perl (use
Code:
perl -v
to check)?

If
Code:
@names
is empty, check the inputs. What are the values of
Code:
$exclude_regex
Code:
$pvr_name_regex
and
Code:
keys %{$pvr}
before
Code:
@names
is populated?

user-70

For the record OS is Scientific Linux release 6.4, an RHEL clone

Quote:perl -v

This is perl, v5.10.1 (*) built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

However, your suggestion to look at $pvr_name_regex turned up some unexpected stuff. I found an errant "search" line in the options file. Since I never hand edited that file it must have come from doing some CLI stuff while inadvertantly leaving --prefs-add on the command line. Once removed things started working as expected

Thanks for the quick response! get_iplayer is a really fantastic tool.

Jeff

user-2

That would explain it. The errant "search" preference would be treated by get_iplayer as the name of PVR search to run, but of course it wouldn't match any queued searches. It's all too easy to do with
Code:
--prefs-add
. That's a bit of a gotcha with get_iplayer argument processing, but it's too embedded with users to change.

user-417

Hello all,

Since I saw this thread, I figured I would add to it rather than opening a new query.
I have had issues running get_iplayer on Opensuse, specifically related to using --pvr-add
The 'once-off' pvr function works without issue though (--pvr-queue) - it finds the program and is perfect.

I had no such issues on Rasp-Pi, using what I believe is the correct syntax, so I'm thinking v2.82 and OS possibly have something to do with it.

<<snip>>

Code:
media@womble:~/.get_iplayer> get_iplayer --pvr-list
get_iplayer v2.82, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

All PVR Searches:

pvrsearch = The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2
    channel = BBC One
    modes = flashvhigh2,flashvhigh1,flashhd2,flashhd1,flashnormal,flashlow
    output = /home/media/iplayer-test
    proxy = <my_proxy_server>
    search = The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2
    type = tv

<</snip>>

(I found an additional search entry in the pvr/programe_name directory in question above, and removed it thinking that the problem might be solved, but no luck, it continues to fail)

Then I execute (or run via cron) the following:

<<snip>>
Code:
media@womble:~/.get_iplayer> get_iplayer --pvr -v --debug
DEBUG: Parsing options from /etc/get_iplayer/options:
DEBUG: Loaded option packagemanager (packagemanager) = = disable
DEBUG: Parsing options from /home/media/.get_iplayer/options:
DEBUG: Loaded option rtmptvopts (rtmptvopts) = --swfVfy http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/releases/iplayer/revisions/617463_618125_4/617463_618125_4_emp.swf
DEBUG: Loaded option search (search) = (proxy = my_proxy_server)
DEBUG: Loaded option output (output) = = /home/media/iplayer-test/

INFO: User prefs dir: /home/media/.get_iplayer
INFO: System options dir: /etc/get_iplayer/options
DEBUG: PVR search 'The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2': option channel = BBC One
DEBUG: PVR search 'The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2': option modes = flashvhigh2,flashvhigh1,flashhd2,flashhd1,flashnormal,flashlow
DEBUG: PVR search 'The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2': option output = /home/media/iplayer-test
DEBUG: PVR search 'The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2': option proxy = my_proxy_server
DEBUG: PVR search 'The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2': option type = tv
DEBUG: PVR search 'The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2': option search = The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2
INFO: Loaded PVR search 'The_Sheriffs_Are_Coming_Series_2'
INFO: Loaded PVR search list
Running PVR Searches:
media@womble:~/.get_iplayer> echo $?

<</snip>>

The options dir (probably don't need it anymore as I'm now explicitly providing everything on the CLI during testing) contains the rtmptvopts, proxy and outputdir parameters. I have also ensured that the tv.cache is up-to-date.

I get no further logging and notice no processors starting to action the request.
Any thoughts much appreciated; fantastic tool but so much better with a working series recorder :)

Best,
Nacro.

user-30

The most obvious thing to me here is that the search string doesn't match the programme you are looking for. It looks like the type of string that gets created by the WebPVR manager in that it's underscore separated and specifies the series but I could be wrong on that.

In any case, that string doesn't return any matches, where as the simpler
Code:
"The Sheriffs Are Coming"
returns two matching programmes.

If you remove that PVR entry and re-add it via the command line with the search string I mention above it *should* work. You can check out the PVR guide here:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/get_i...-pvr-guide

...and for specifically adding PVR entries here:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/get_i...et_iplayer?

Note the use of the quote marks around search strings.

user-417

Hi Penguin,

I have done a lot of reading on this particularly while setting it up on the Raspi, and it worked a treat.
However, since Opensuse (Pi is no longer active), I've had numerous issues.

Its interesting though: I removed and re-added an entry that contained the following:

media@womble:~> get_iplayer --pvr-list

All PVR Searches:

channel = BBC One
proxy = my_proxy_name:port
search0 = The Sheriffs Are Coming Series 2
type = tv

This didn't work.

I then added the following, and its started to work:

media@womble:~> get_iplayer --pvr-list

All PVR Searches:

channel = BBC One
proxy = my_proxy_name:port
search0 = Sheriffs <--- ??
type = tv

Thank you again for your suggestion; I don't understand why a full search string is not working, but a partial is. As this is the 1st time I've got this working under Opensuse I'm extremely happy. I thought that if its in the tv.cache (regardless of whether it has underscores or not) the pid and other useful info would be found with a partial or a full search string (of the program name).

All the best,
Nacro.

user-2

You search string was once again incorrect. The full series name is "The Sheriffs Are Coming: Series 2" - you omitted the colon. However, there is generally no need to bother with the ": Series 2" bit. It's only needed if there is more than one series of a programme currently available. By default, get_iplayer does substring matching, so you only need to use as much of the series name as is necessary to find your desired episodes.

Not directly related, but you would be well-advised to upgrade to the latest version of get_iplayer and remove rtmptvopts from your options file. get_iplayer is no longer updated in the Packman repo, so read this to find out where to get an updated version:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/installation/opensuse/

user-2

To pick up your last point: The underscores matter, substring matching notwithstanding. You can't match something that isn't there. You search string should be exactly as it appears in the series name, even if it's only part of the name.

user-417

Hi Pumpkin,

Thanks for your response.
All fully understood and now working as expected!

I will consider upgrading, however I'm resistant to make changes to something that (at this stage) is working without error.

Best,
Nacro.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info