These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

How can I chnage the application link?

user-909

The first time I ran iPlayer I misunderstood the question about naming the program to use with downloads, and entered Windows Media Player instead of iPlayer. I also checked the box to remember the choice.

Now, when I try to download, it opens Media Player and gets stuck. How can I change the application? I tried uninstalling and re-installing but it still tries to use Media Player.

user-30

Hello,

I'm not sure if you can actually do what you've done when using get_iplayer. Perhaps you can but it sounds more like you're using the BBC iPlayer desktop app. Is this the case?

If you are using the BBC iPlayer desktop app then please note that you're in the wrong place and will need to approach the BBC's help site for assistance. This forum is for a different tool - 'get_iplayer'.

IF however, you are using get_iplayer, please could you provide some more information, possibly a screenshot of what you are seeing as you attempt to download, because what you have described has me puzzled.

user-909

Sorry, I'm in the wrong forum. You are correct in that I am trying to get BBC iPlayer working. The BBC Help site does not help with this issue. Do you perhaps know the correct forum?

Many thanks for the prompt response.

user-30

No problem.

I'm not sure where to go on the BBC but they might not be able to help anyway as you've changed a setting in Windows and you'll likely have to look for Windows support to revert that change.

I'm not sure which version of Windows you are using but you might look at this link which offers some advice about changing the default applications that are used by the OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...=windows-7

I don't actually have a Windows machine so I can't offer any specific advice I'm afraid. Sorry that's not too helpful but hopefully you'll be able to find something useful in that link.

user-909

I really appreciate your help, but just for the record, I have not changed a setting in Windows. When you first run BBC iPlayer from the PC it asks your for the name of a file (application) to be used with the downloads. You are meant to enter "BBC iPlayer" here, but I in error entered "Windows Media Player". Now there doesn't seem to be any way of changing the setting in iPlayer, and every time I try to download something it just opens Windows Media Player

These forums are archived

See this post for further info