These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Error

user-908

Get iplayer was working Ok, but a recent download gave me this error...

Download complete
avconv: relocation error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libavfilter.so.4: symbol sws_isSupportedEndiannessConversion, version LIBSWSCALE_2 not defined in file libswscale.so.2 with link time reference
INFO: Command exit code 127 (raw code = 32512)
WARNING: flv conversion failed - retaining flv file

Nver had this before.

user-2

That has nothing to do with get_iplayer. You've somehow managed to break avconv on your system. Perhaps you installed incompatible libraries from a third-party repository? It could also be that your distro's packages are broken. Google and Stack Overflow might be your friends here. All I can suggest is trying to uninstall libav and its dependencies and re-installing from your distro's standard repositories. Sorry, but we can't really help with this since we can't know what happened to your system.

user-908

Thanks, I thought the error might be mine, I am currently trying this on my windows machine as an alternative.

user-908

Well it worked on my windows machine....using synaptic there quite a few libav packages.... :(

user-2

You might first try to reinstall the libswscale2 package - that seems to be where the problem lies. Moreover, libswscale2 might not have been installed with libav-tools.

user-908

Quote:Quote:You might first try to reinstall the libswscale2 package – that seems to be where the problem lies. Moreover, libswscale2 might not have been installed with libav-tools.

Thanks tried that now getting a different error, avconv version 9.18-6:9.18-0ubuntu0.14.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the Libav developers
built on Mar 16 2015 13:20:58 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
INFO: Command exit code 2 (raw code = 11)
WARNING: flv conversion failed - retaining flv file

Looks as if might have to do a clean install.

user-2

That most likely means another dependency is broken. The libav-tools package works fine if installed on a clean 14.04 system. If you can do so, save yourself some headaches and perform a clean install. If not, you'll have to figure out how to fix your installation of libav. If you can't do either, you can use
Code:
--raw
to skip the re-muxing phases of get_iplayer output, where avconv is used. However, your system may not be able to play the resulting FLV files if it has broken multimedia packages. You could also find a PPA build of the proper ffmpeg and use that instead of avconv via
Code:
--ffmpeg=/path/to/ffmpeg

user-908

Quote:Quote:That most likely means another dependency is broken. The libav-tools package works fine if installed on a clean 14.04 system. If you can do so, save yourself some headaches and perform a clean install. If not, you’ll have to figure out how to fix your installation of libav. If you can’t do either, you can use
Code:
--raw
to skip the re-muxing phases of get_iplayer output, where avconv is used. However, your system may not be able to play the resulting FLV files if it has broken multimedia packages. You could also find a PPA build of the proper ffmpeg and use that instead of avconv via
Code:
--ffmpeg=/path/to/ffmpeg

Well the clean install option would probably take the best part of a day, with all the extras :( anyway managed to find a PPA for ffmpeg and using your suggestion it worked :)) Many thanks for your help, even though it wasn't a get_iplayer issue, much appreciated.

user-2

Good news. Now if you uninstall the libav-tools package (thus removing avconv), you should be able to use get_iplayer without specifying
Code:
--ffmpeg

user-2

But - beware that when you next update get_iplayer from the PPA, it would attempt to reinstall libav-tools as a dependency, at least as the PPA build is currently configured. Proper ffmpeg has returned to Ubuntu, but no clue if it has been (or will be) back-ported to 14.04 repositories.

user-908

Quote:Quote:Good news. Now if you uninstall the libav-tools package (thus removing avconv), you should be able to use get_iplayer without specifying
Code:
--ffmpeg

Well there is definitely something broke, removed libav-tools and tried again, no error messages but did not convert, so it will only convert if I specify the path to ffmpeg.

user-2

Sorry, bad advice - ignore. It would depend on whether ffmpeg is installed in $PATH. That's not necessarily the case with PPA builds.

user-908

Quote:Quote:Sorry, bad advice – ignore. It would depend on whether ffmpeg is installed in $PATH. That’s not necessarily the case with PPA builds.

That's Ok, at least I have a solution which is better than a complete reinstall.

user-908

Looks as if I may have to do a clean install anyway, libav-tools seems to linked to a number of packages when updates come through....gonna be an interesting weekend.....

user-2

If you can, try it in a VM first. Your original post suggests you're not using a stock Ubuntu 14.04 system, so you might be installing a broken libav-tools package from wherever you got it. It's also possible there is something peculiar to 32-bit builds. If you can check those things in isolation, it might avoid a needless system re-install.

user-908

Well there was an update to an icon theme I use, and guess what, I had to reinstall the libav-tools otherwise it wouldn't update....so something is definitely screwed.

user-908

Well a clean install it was, not quite so painful as I thought it would be and now it's working again...happy days :)

user-2

Good news, though unfortunate it came to that. I suggest making a list of libav-tools dependencies and versions from the Trusty repo and checking them when the system is completely rebuilt. From your original report, it looks like some other package pulled in a version of libavfilter (and probably others) that was newer than the version compatible with avconv. Although it's not necessary, get_iplayer should work with newer versions of libav, but all the dependencies need to match.

user-901

I have an old box with Hardy Heron on it that I can't really upgrade. Does anyone know the repository to use to get libav or libav-tools? It is unknown to the repositories I've been using to maintain it.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info