These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

get-iplayer no longer works outside UK ;-(

user-559

i am abroad right now, and a few days ago getiplayer failed to work and got this message, not available outside UK. Is there any workaround for this? We shouldnt be penalised for living in the global community ;-(

cheers
al

user-30

It's never worked outside the UK (EDIT: For TV). BBC iPlayer is a geo-restricted service that requires a UK IP address to access. This is nothing to do with get_iplayer but a function of the BBC iPlayer service itself.

The message you are seeing is simply due to a change to the error message in the recent release informing you that the error may be because you are outside the UK. Previously there was no error message but the download failed still. So, the reason you didn't see it before is because it didn't exist, not because get_iplayer is restricting you.

EDIT: I see this was about Radio, my bad for making the assumption it was TV. Radio should work after updating to the latest version of get_iplayer.

user-559

Actually it's been working wonderfully up until last week. I have been abroad for some time and using get_iplayer, but starting end of last week it suddenly failed to fetch. It began with a few programmes, that identified the programme but failed to download saying I shouild try another mode eg mode=wma because 'default' was not available. The mode didnt work. Now nothing downloads anymore and the message I get is:

"Recording The Following Programmes

Afternoon on 3 - The BBC Philharmonic Performs Nielsen: Nielsen: Symphony No 6 (b05303mv)

INFO Trying to stream pid using type radio
INFO: pid found in cache
Matches:
10131: Afternoon on 3 - The BBC Philharmonic Performs Nielsen: Nielsen: Symphony No 6, BBC Radio 3,

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes (flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashaaclow) available for this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
INFO: You may receive this message if you are using get_iplayer outside the UK
ERROR: Failed to record 'Afternoon on 3 - The BBC Philharmonic Performs Nielsen: Nielsen: Symphony No 6 (b05303mv)'

Recording complete"

I tried the mode suggestion but it doesnt work. It says recording complete but nothign was recorded. What could then be the problem? I had this message for CD Review last week, but other programme in that week downloaded successfully.

thanks for ur advice
cheers

user-559

Well, latest is i updated to the latest version and everything is now hunky dory. Sorry for not checking, I swear I had downloaded the latest version. I guess the message about being outside UK threw me off. Tks again for a wonderful tool, makes life so much easier to enjoy radio, and keep my blood pressure from going red ;)

al

user-561

Hi.

Just thought I'd mention that I have also had that same message - that I'm 'outside the UK' when I tried to download a programme called Hinterland. I'm not outside it btw. I did try to download it several times and always got the same message. But, I wasn't using V2.92 either so that might have had something to do with it?

The message has also popped up a couple of times on other programmes I've tried to download too, but I can't be
  • 100%
sure I did it right those times.

user-2

The message indicates you "may" be outside the UK. Your problem is that you haven't upgraded.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info