These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

get_iPlayer on Android

user-837

Sure, I can download with get_iplayer using Linux on my PC; then view the file remotely (eg using Kodi) on the android device, or transfer the file to the android device (various ways). But I was curious to know how to use get_iplayer directly on an android device. I could not find anything on the wibbly wobbly web, so the lateral thinking began .... (this is a bit slow in my 68-year old brain).

Here we go:
My android device has a ARM processor.
Raspberry Pi (doesn't do android) has an ARM processor.
Raspbian is Debian (Wheezy).
Android app "Debian No Root" is debian (wheezy).
Nice instructions here [url=http://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/installation/raspbian/][/url]
on how to install get_iplayer on raspbian/raspberry pi.
(This is logical, Captain.)

Anyway, it works! See attached screenshots. I have get_iplayer 2.91, the CLI and the Web PVR working fine.

It is not difficult, but there are prerequisites and precautions which I can explain.
I have no idea whether anyone else is interested, so if this post gets some responses I will sharpen my quill pen and provide details.

user-30

Fascinating!

I've been totally snowed under this past month and haven't been able to do much on the site. One of the things I'd like to do is extract some of the user generated scripts and content into a separate forum so we can all benefit from the communities work around get_iplayer that might not make it to an official release.

What you have done here would be a perfect match for this plan so I'd certainly be interested to see a write up of what you did. You can simply write it up in a forum post in reply to my message here and it'll sit for a while for others to enjoy/replicate and I'll move it into it's new home as soon as I get more than 5 minutes.

No time pressure or anything like that, just whenever you have the time. This site is reasonably popular so I know that at least some others will be interested.

Admin

user-837

Write-up attached.

user-30

Many thanks for thw write up. This looks worthy of a Wiki entry. I'll put something up as soon as I get a spare 30 mins!

user-719

Sounds great, until I look through the notes. Too much for my brain to handle, but interesting to hear it's possible, thanks.

user-837

Update
"Debian noroot" from Google Play store has been updated from Debian Wheezy to Debian Jessie. The "jon-hedgerows" get_iplayer repository version for Raspbian, to which I refer in my post 01Feb2015 attachment, has not yet been updated to Jessie. However you can still use the get_iplayer Wheezy repository with Debian noroot Jessie, no problems.

user-2

Thanks for the update.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info