These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Should we avoid using the Web PVR?

user-626

Hi, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I can't see the answer spelled out decisively anywhere...

Should I have ditched using the graphical user interface Web PVR gadget these days? Is get_iplayer intended to be used in the command line gadget only now?

The reason I ask is: Web PVR usually doesn't throw up any results for me anymore, though the CLI is working really well. Being a bit of a dunce I always used to use the Web PVR instead of CLI, but I'll abandon the Web PVR if that's the recommendation.

Thanks for keeping get_iplayer going!

user-585

I think using the Web PVR is still fine.

If you find you have problems with some programmes though, you will need to go to the command line for those ones.

user-834

I have been looking through the various FAQs and Release Notes to try and work out what the Web PVR should still do and what it won't, with no success. I was used to relying on the 'save to PVR' function to pick up new programmes/series but I cannot now trust this. It's frustrating not knowing for sure what I'll have to download manually and having to trawl through masses of listings. It has certainly taught me to appreciate what we had!

Can anyone help with a definitive list of what should/shouldn't now work through the Web PVR?

user-2

The Web PVR works exactly the same as it always has. For searching, it has the same capabilities and limitations as the CLI. That shouldn't be surprising since all it does is call the CLI to perform searches. If you have a search or pvr job that works with the CLI but not in the Web PVR, create a new topic and post the details.

@feed_my_face: If you're using the Web PVR on a different machine from the CLI, you probably just need to refresh your cache.

user-626

Thanks user-2. I'm actually using both on the same machine. It's as if the Web PVR doesn't have the latest programme listing info at its fingertips. But I must confess, when I launch the Web PVR I haven't been doing any cache refreshing or housekeeping.

Just to be sure I have it straight, I can refresh the cache by either...?
* Launching the CLI first and running "get_iplayer --refresh" or one of its variants from the documentation.
* Or running Tiiveni's script from this post
...before I attempt to use the Web PVR?

The PVR is great for me as I'm not a computer whizzkid, but also because the PVR-d programmes act as a shopping list of shows that I'm following.

My method of last resort is transferring the PID from the BBC site into the CLI, which I find quite fiddly, but which does usually deliver great results.

Thanks for the advice & support as always!

user-626

Edited due to incompetent attempt to fix what I thought was a botched link in my previous post... sorry...

user-2

Refresh the cache in Web PVR by clicking the "Refresh Cache" button in the Search page. In theory, preloading via
Code:
get_iplayer --refresh
should also work, but until you provide an example search that doesn't work I can't tell you any more. If you're using Tilveni's script, you'll have to contact Tilveni for help.

user-626

How embarrassing... I'd never noticed that button...

user-834

Thanks for the response, and for all the work. I put some time into seeing what was actually going on with my Web PVR.

I *think* that all is OK with radio downloads (the most important for me) from the entries in my PVR List but will continue to monitor it. No tv programmes at all were being downloaded from the PVR List but I managed to track this down to an entry in the 'options' file which read 'search (radio)'. No idea where that came from but I have removed it and tv now seems to be downloading OK too.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info