These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

perl.exe problem

user-57

Hi all

I’m running Win7 64bit, and only recently started to get these errors when I start up the program (screenshots below)

http://i.imgur.com/TjiyKAq.png

http://i.imgur.com/278RdJD.png

I’ve tried reinstalling get_iplayer using the auto installer, but no luck, it just won’t work. My perl.exe has the MD5 hash 4E341C9DE7A9C52A56DA9BD997BAC52B

Thanks in advance for any help

user-2

The checksum is OK. The error 5 suggests that access is denied to some resource, but offers no clue if it's a component required by perl.exe or a location used by get_iplayer. Since the problem only recently cropped up, the logical inference is that something you recently installed or reconfigured has done something naughty to your system. Any bells ringing?

A place to start would be to attempt to narrow down the problem a bit. Open a normal command prompt (not the Get_iPlayer shortcut in Start menu), then navigate to installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer). Once there, try to run
Code:
get_iplayer
, with no arguments. If that fails, try to run
Code:
perl -V
. If perl.exe runs when get_iplayer doesn't, that would tend to rule out any problems with DLL dependencies in the bundled version of Perl. You may also want to run
Code:
sfc /scannow
just to make sure a system library wasn't messed with, though that seems less likely.

If you're feeling energetic, you may want to try the ProcMon utility to monitor the activities of perl and get_iplayer during launch. It might reveal where access is being denied. Some basic instructions can be found here:

/reply...install-4/

The only change to those instructions are: a) set up your filter for Process Name = perl.exe rather than get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe; b) instead of running get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe, invoke the Get_iPlayer shortcut in the Start menu.

user-57

I've uploaded my log from ProcMon

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7014775/Logfile.PML

Many thanks again user-2, I can't thank you enough for your troubleshooting help.

I wonder if avast has do to with anything...

user-2

What were the results of those tests from the command prompt? And to confirm: You were trying to launch get_iplayer, not just perl.exe, when you generated the ProcMon log, right? Your log shows no evidence that any elements of get_iplayer itself were accessed. That would be the case if perl.exe can't initialise, but I want to be sure. AFAICT from your log, perl.exe can access its supporting libraries OK, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I would definitely try running get_iplayer with Avast disabled or removed. It wouldn't be the first time an antivirus package interfered with get_iplayer. Have a look at whatever logs or events Avast generates to see if there is any evidence it was messing around with perl or get_iplayer.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info