These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Save Downloads As Mpeg2?

user-728

I am a get_iplayer and ffmpeg newbie. I am using a Raspberry Pi for get_iplayer (ver 2.82) downloads to my NAS (works great). I would like to save the downloads as .mpg files. Reason - I want to play them on my Sony DVD player which has DLNA support for mpeg2 but not for either mp4 or mkv. I realize I could configure get_iplayer save files as .flv and then run some sort of batch conversion (e.g. ffmpeg). Is there a more "elegant" one step solution? Can the conversion settings for ffpmeg be changed so that video files are automatically converted to .mpg when I run get_iplayer.

- Roller

user-2

See "Custom Commands" in Usage Examples wiki page.

user-728

Thanks for your suggestion, user-2. The example given in "Custom Commands" did work but it created a video in .ts format, which my DVD player cannot read (even if I change the extension to .mpg).
In addition to MPEG2 (.mpg) my DVD player will play some DIVX/XVID files (MPEG-4 Part2 codec is supported but not H.264). Once I learn a bit more about using ffmpeg I should be able to save to a video format I can play (XVID/DivX preferred because of smaller file size).
There was also a --avi "switch" mentioned as an output option under Custom Commands. I am not clear how or where --avi is used. I suspect, though, it would use the H.264 codec by default and would not create compatible files.
One more question: Once a successful custom command has been created is there any way of saving it to preferences so it does not have to be entered at the CLI every time get_iplayer is run?

user-2

As it says, it is only an example. You weren't meant to copy it exactly, given that you're trying to produce MPEG2. You have to figure out ffmpeg options to fit your own transcoding plans.

As for saving preferences, read the usage examples page again. But, do not save
Code:
--command
in your default options - use a preset. Otherwise it will be applied to all downloads, not just the ones you want to transcode.

user-728

I agree, I need to do more "homework" to get comfortable with ffmpeg options (not mention, get_iplayer). Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction with your timely and helpful responses. Will keep you posted.

Thank you, as well, for the terrific work you folks are doing to restore functionality to get_iplayer in the face of changes made by the BBC!

These forums are archived

See this post for further info