These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

SURVEY: How/Why do you use get_iplayer?

Pages: 1 2

user-724

I primarily use get_iplayer to record Cbeebies programmes for my daughter. Our YouView box is too unreliable (it seems to crash daily and regularly corrupts recordings) and playback via the BBC iPlayer apps tends to be choppy, even when on WiFi.

user-731

I use get_iplayer to record mainly r4 and 4e programs to listen to in the car (this replaced encoding the iplayer audiostream to mp3 in realtime!). I also encode some music shows to listen to at work where rules / bandwith don't allow direct listening.

Many thanks to all who update get_iplayer as it helps keep me sane during my 2hours a day comute.

user-736

I live on a boat, which means it's often impossible to connect to them thar intarwebs, making dear old Auntie's iplayer mostly useless for me. Being able to watch recorded programmes is a huge benefit, especially when the expiry of programmes means I'd otherwise be unable to watch them at all.

I'd like to give a warm thank you to Square Penguin, user-2 (great user names, btw!) and everyone else involved in get_iplayer. I can't see a Donate page, otherwise I'd do so, (however, I can see a very good reason why you wouldn't accept nor ask for donations), but are there any charities which the people involved like to support?

user-570

There are three basic reasons I use Get_iPlayer ....

1. I only have SD FreeView - and some programs, particularly the excellent BBC Natural World / David Attenborough variety, need HD ... and missing them live and watching later in HD is brilliant!

2. I'm passionate about Formula 1 ... and I get to archive all the races (as much as the Beeb shows, these days) for future reference ... and to fill in the long winter break.

3. Sometimes I can't get to watch something before it vanishes from iPlayer. At least this way I can keep until I have time. I have a PVR ... but then getting it to phone/laptop for watching on the train is a pain! (And it's only SD).

user-741

I don't use it for TV, but there are a lot of radio programmes I would like to listen to, where I am not around at the time of broadcast, and I want to listen at times and places where I cannot use the BBC iplayer app itself (e.g. driving to work, cooking, working in the garden).

The cost of purchasing all of these programmes from the BBC through their store would be prohibitive, so the get_iplayer gives me the ultimate freedom to listen when and using whatever device (e.g. car, MP3 player) I choose.

user-30

Quote:Quote:I live on a boat, which means it’s often impossible to connect to them thar intarwebs, making dear old Auntie’s iplayer mostly useless for me. Being able to watch recorded programmes is a huge benefit, especially when the expiry of programmes means I’d otherwise be unable to watch them at all.

I’d like to give a warm thank you to Square Penguin, user-2 (great user names, btw!) and everyone else involved in get_iplayer. I can’t see a Donate page, otherwise I’d do so, (however, I can see a very good reason why you wouldn’t accept nor ask for donations), but are there any charities which the people involved like to support?

@raisin-tweezers - I think you win the best username award :)

Regarding charitable donations, your offer is very kind but from my point of view please feel free to pick one you support. I believe in the freedoms Open Source style collaborations and projects afford users and it wouldn't sit well with me to say to you 'support this because I said so'. Instead, if you wish to assist a project or cause, I would encourage you to pick a project that is near and dear to your heart that does accept donations and to support them.

user-743

Recording Radio programs to listen to in the car/at work, download the whole series then listen in one go Some TV for catch up, on pc or on mobile devices.

I do find that the ability to run things at a higher rate using the media player of my choice is really useful when catching up. I can generally rattle through a half hour Tv programme in 20 mins without losing any information.

user-771

Not sure whether this survey is still open but I like to give you also my feedbacks.
I am listening to BBC since long time, specifically to Gilles Peterson Worldwide episodes and being not in UK it has been always not an easy task.
Anyway I was able to collect many of them in the last 15 years and using all the ways possible.
In the last 3 years I am using get_iplayer and I found it a really powerful application.
I am very happy is always supported by person like you!

In the last month I was struggling with all the changes done on the streaming. Even today was trying to understand the reason why not working and I finally find the solution with GIT patch ... WORKING !!! (THX).

Don't know if OT but is there a limitation of audio quality for streaming out of UK?

user-774

I like to listen to radio when at work.

However due to the electrical noise in the area, neither DAB or FM can be received. The work internet doesn't allow streaming so can't I listen that way.

If it were available (I believe the Beeb keep saying it's on the cards), I'd use iplayer to download to an Android phone.

Listening to programs a day late isn't an issue.

user-809

Hi. I'm a retired Film & Video editor. I have health issues which make me partially housebound, so I watch a fair amount of TV. However as I am sometimes confined to bed I like to do some of this on a laptop, si get_iplayer has allowed me to archive a lot of stuff for later retrieval. I just save everything as mp4, and transfer to USB sticks so I can either watch it on my TV or laptop.

Since the BBC changed the way the indexing works I have found this site very usefull for finding work-arounds for the functions that stopped working, Thank you all.
Pages: 1 2

These forums are archived

See this post for further info