These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

How do I run get_iplayer with launchd?

user-1596

With the release of Mac OS 10.4, launchd was chosen to supersede cron in Mac OS.

Has anyone experience of writing a daemon to run get_iplayer regularly?
Or using launchd to run cron regularly?

If not I shall dive in and try and understand it, but I thought I would ask first.

[Yes I have tried to run cron as superuser or as root but it doesn't work and it's a bit of security risk]
[[Plus I have to get grips with eventually for other automated scripts I used to use]]

user-1743

I use launchd to have get_iplayer update its cache regularly. As far as I know it's working properly! Create the following text file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>org.{YOUR_DOMAIN}.get_iplayer.cache_refresh</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/usr/local/bin/get_iplayer</string>
        <string>--refresh</string>
        <string>--type=tv,radio</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>StartInterval</key>
    <integer>518400</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Give it the same name as the "Label" property in the plist:
Code:
org.{YOUR_DOMAIN}.get_iplayer.cache_refresh.plist

and place it in:
Code:
~/Library/LaunchAgents/

It will then load at login, but you can load it manually using the terminal:

Code:
launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.{YOUR_DOMAIN}.get_iplayer.cache_refresh.plist

If you want to create your own/play around/understand the values better, there is a launchd plist generator website. But to really help understand the files, I highly recommend LaunchControl, which is an advanced utility for working with launchd and its plist files. It has a free trial, and even once the trial expires, it's a great way to explore the various properties and their options (or if you find yourself using it, you can buy it obviously!).

These forums are archived

See this post for further info