These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Download speed

user-599

I am on Relish Broadband in London which is 4G. When I go to speedtest.net, I get a download speed of 50 Meg. However, using get_iplayer, I can only download programs at 2.5 Meg. Does anyone know why?

Thank you very much.

user-30

1) Define 'meg'. Mbps or MBps? Note one is Megabit per second, one is MegaByte per second.

2) How are you determining that your get_iplayer download speed is 2.5 'meg'?

user-599

Hi Square Penguin

Thank you for your reply.

1) By Meg, I mean Mbps.

2) It took about 2200 seconds to download roughly 700 Megabytes. 700 x 8 / 2200 = 2.545455

To be honest, I don't think is get_iplayer's fault. I suspect that it is either the fault of the iPlayer server or Relish Broadband might be throttling iPlayer. From you knowledge and experience of iPlayer, can you shed any light on it?

Thank you very much.

user-2

There is no way to know. It's nothing to do with get_iplayer. Some users have reported much faster streaming over high speed connections, so it's something particular to your situation. It may not be coincidental that 2500 kbps is roughly the bandwidth required for HD streaming from the iPlayer site. If you never ever get better than that, then perhaps your broadband provider is interpreting "up to 50 Mb" rather loosely.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info