These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

TV programme with version=legal not detected when "default" in --versionlist

user-1949

Programme "Animal Park Summer Special Eps 3" has failed to download for me over the past 5 days (it appeared in the cache on 8-August).  Today I decided to investigate further.  A quick manual GiP specifying --versions default,signed,audiodescribed reported in the output:

Code:
INFO: Getting stream data for version: 'legal'
INFO: No versions of this programme were selected (available versions: legal)

So I duly added legal to the version option:

--versions legal,default,signed,audiodescribed  --pid m0007f91

and it worked ok.  I've never seen a "legal" before...

pf

user-2

Version names can change at the BBC's whim. You don't need to specify "legal" unless your settings are messed up [Correction: You do need to specify "legal" if you have specified --versions explicitly]. You should never use --versions unless you need to indicate a preference for signed or audiodescribed versions of programmes.

EDIT: Not a bug, but get_iplayer probably needs to be more flexible dealing with unknown version names.

user-1949

Dinky

Thanks for the hint about not using --versions.  My wrapper script started life in Oct 13 and I suspect that I discovered that it worked ok with --versions default.  Later on I added signed and AD because sometimes I came too late to the party and the "normal" version had expired, so to avoid missing an episode/programme, I was prepared to have a signed (or AD) version.  In fact, now that expiration times have extended, I don't think I've needed to watch a signed or AD programme for quite some time, so I can just safely (and quietly) follow your recommendation and delete the option.

Thanks again for your sterling work in keeping this program on the road. I appreciate it very much.

pf

user-2

For such cases, the workaround for now would be to make two download passes: first without --versions, then with --versions=signed,audiodescribed. The second pass will display warnings that programmes downloaded in first pass already exist, but won't overwrite them by default.

user-743

BTW, "legal" seems to mean that the programme has been edited in some way because of legal issues - e.g. where the BBC doesn't have the rights to broadcast music anymore (so no Neil Young in the Singer/Songwriters programme).

user-2

Fixed in v3.22

These forums are archived

See this post for further info