These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Setting up a PVR for BBC Parliament

user-581

Hello all,

First post,

I have read the guidance but I am getting nowhere. I wish to set up a PVR to record all the live coverage of the Conservative Party Conference starting tomorrow. For ease of use I would like it saved to a Conservative Conference 2014 folder within the iplayer recordings folder.

Could anybody give me advice of writing the correct string please?

Regards

user-2

The simplest thing is to wait until tomorrow when the first session is available on iPlayer and will thus appear in the get_iplayer search results. You can then add the series to the PVR list. When you run the PVR it will download the existing sessions as well. To schedule in advance, you have to add future listings to the cache (Recording settings), refresh the cache, then search future listings (Advanced Search settings). I strongly suspect the series name will include Conservative Party Conference.

As for creating a subdirectory, you'll need to add the
Code:
--subdir
option to your get_iplayer settings with the CLI. See the Usage & Examples page in the wiki.

user-2

I perhaps incorrectly assumed you were using the Web PVR Manager. Even if not, the above also applies to using the CLI for future scheduling. The related CLI options can be found in the Options page in the wiki. If using the CLI, it may be sufficient to create a PVR job with "Conservative Party Conference" as the search criterion and
Code:
--subdir
included.

user-30

I think what DP is saying is good advice - wait until the programmes are in the normal iPlayer cache and then you can use pretty much the exact commands as provided in the guides section to set up the PVR in the manner you want.

Alternatively, you could 'guess' at the name of the programme now and just create a PVR record in anticipation of the programme becoming available.

If, however, you are talking about actually recording the live streams then that's something different so please clarify your post if that is your requirement.

user-581

Quote:<div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title">Quote:</div>I think what DP is saying is good advice – wait until the programmes are in the normal iPlayer cache and then you can use pretty much the exact commands as provided in the guides section to set up the PVR in the manner you want.

Alternatively, you could ‘guess’ at the name of the programme now and just create a PVR record in anticipation of the programme becoming available.

If, however, you are talking about actually recording the live streams then that’s something different so please clarify your post if that is your requirement.

To clarify, I would to record the live streams. Thanks to all for your help.

user-30

Take a look here.

That'll give you the commands you will need. I'm not sure that you can schedule that like a PVR as in 'at this time start this stream', unless you set it up in some other way to run the command at some particular time using some other tool.

Be aware that recording a live stream is somewhat unreliable and might drop out or try to reconnect etc. Also, you may have trouble if the file ends up being over 4GB.

user-2

cmr_iplayer: To amplify SP's advice - If live recording fails to start or drops out at some point during the programme, get_iplayer does not attempt to restart the recording as it does with catch-up programmes. It just stops, so there is a very high likelihood you will have incomplete recordings. And as SP told you, the PVR doesn't have a timer function. You would have to schedule each run individually at the system level, and if sessions are more than about 3 hours, you would have stop recording and restart to avoid file size issues. Live recording isn't available in HD, so you can record for longer, but you would still need to be careful. You would still have to specify the correct value for
Code:
--stop
for each session to avoid going over time, and it could be different for different sessions. Spare yourself a massive headache and just wait a little while after broadcast until the sessions are available for download.

user-581

Thanks all for the advice

These forums are archived

See this post for further info