These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Why do I get 'already in history' warning when downloading radio programmes?

user-1340

Often when i search for a radio programme I will get the 'already in history'message even though it's the first time I have attempted to download. Any thoughts?

user-1923

Running get_iplayer 3.20.0-MSWin32 from a Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (Version 6.1.7601) CMD shell.

I thought the already in history warnings are only displayed when you're downloading, not when searching. If you're searching by pid or url using options --pid or --url, you should note that these options imply --get so will attempt to download the programmes. (Except in the case when --info is also specified; before anyone gets pedantic!)

When you are trying to download a previously-downloaded programme, you have to include the --force option (and potentially the --overwrite option).

To search your caches by pid or url without downloading the results, you have to search in the specific field. For example:

get_iplayer Output:

C:\>get_iplayer --type radio --fields pid m0002z8d

Matches:
30817:  Alexei Sayle's The Absence of Normal - Banner Bright, BBC Radio 4, m0002z8d
INFO: 1 matching programmes
or, for multiple pids, use the regular expression disjunction character, |, to separate the search terms:

get_iplayer Output:

C:\>get_iplayer --type radio --fields pid --future "m0002z8d|m0002z98"

Matches:
30817:  Alexei Sayle's The Absence of Normal - Banner Bright, BBC Radio 4, m0002z8d
40712:  Just a Minute: Series 83 - Episode 5, BBC Radio 4, m0002z98
INFO: 2 matching programmes

To see why get_iplayer thinks you've already downloaded a programme when you're sure you haven't, try searching your history to see if the entry details shed any light on it:

get_iplayer Output:

C:\>get_iplayer --history --type radio --fields pid --listformat "<pid>|<name>|<episode>|<type>|<timeadded>|<mode>|<filename>|<versions>|<duration>|<desc>|<channel>|<categories>|<thumbnail>|<guidance>|<web>|<episodenum>|<seriesnum>|" m0002z8d
Matches:
m0002z8d|Alexei Sayle's The Absence of Normal|Banner Bright|radio|1551704775|hafhigh1|C:\Radio\Alexei Sayle's The Absence of Normal\2019-03-04 Banner Bright_m0002z8d_original.m4a|original|1680|Dark comic plays narrated by Alexei Sayle and adapted from his original short stories.|BBC iPlayer|Drama,Comedy|https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/192x108/p070w2bz.jpg||https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002z8d|||
INFO: 1 matching programmes

Let us know how your investigation goes.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info