These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

File Segment Retries

user-2310

I posted a question last month about why the first few segments of a download often have errors.
It was deleted with a warning to not post about network errors.
I totally get it that you are not able to fix user network issues. I am an IT professional myself and perfectly capable of resolving my own network issues if they exist and I respect your desire to not clutter up the forums with out-of-scope network issues.
HOWEVER - my post asked about what seems to me to be CLAIMED as a network issue but is not any sort of systemic fault I can diagnose. I SUSPECT that it may be a deeper issue and that is why I asked for help.
I often get issues like:
WARNING: Unexpected size for file segment [1]
WARNING: Expected: 5005688 Downloaded: 1227712
WARNING: This indicates a problem with your network connection to the media server
WARNING: Retrying ...
This tells me that Get_iPlayer expected more bytes in the segment than it saw - I get that.
However it then retries the segment and it usually works. Once the download is rolling there are few errors - it is only in the first few segments that this problem happens.
That got me to wondering (hence the post) if there could be a deeper timing issue here that GIP is getting data before it is fully ready to buffer it - or something like that.
Let me be very clear that I am NOT expecting you to help with my network. Let me also be clear that this behavior is only in the first few segments in this way. Yes, there are odd errors later in the download on occasions - but that is the nature of networks and they are just occasional glitches in a recording - no big deal.
Possibly this is a server issue - and that will not be something that the BBC will be interested in looking at. However I thought it at least worth a mention in case it might be an issue with GIP syncing the stream.
Other readers may care to comment on whether they see early errors frequently with the main body being predominantly error free.
---
I just ran a series download for 3 episodes. The first produced the error shown above then went on to download with no more errors. The second produced this effect:
WARNING: Expected: 5005688 Downloaded: 408512
WARNING: This indicates a problem with your network connection to the media server
WARNING: Retrying tv: 'The Twinstitute: Series 1 - 02. Sleep Deprivation (b0by3f5p) [original]'
INFO: Downloaded: 0.00 MB (00:00:00) @ 0.00 Mb/s (hvfhd1/bi) [audio+video]
WARNING: Expected: 5005688 Downloaded: 916415
WARNING: Retrying tv: 'The Twinstitute: Series 1 - 02. Sleep Deprivation (b0by3f5p) [original]'
INFO: Downloaded: 0.00 MB (00:00:00) @ 0.00 Mb/s (hvfhd1/bi) [audio+video]
WARNING: Expected: 5005688 Downloaded: 1375167
It then went on to download with no more errors.. Then no more problems
Now this behavior is not a network fault. The program is getting a short first block, then a bit more, then a bit more then a bit more, then the whole block then no more problems.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info