These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

get-iplayer snap cannot write in /media unless "removable-media" interface connected

user-2319

Hello.
I have been using get_iplayer for quite a few years. I am moving away from windows 10 to Linux Mint XFCE (19.1). And I have a minor problem. I have two hard drives on my system. Drive 1 is a 120gb SSD and hosts the operating system and drive 2 is a 500gb mechanical drive for storage. In the past I would set get_iplayer to save downloads to my VIDEO folder on the 500gb drive by running the command get_iplayer --prefs-add --output "D:\VIDEO" and it would be fine. Now in Linux Mint the 500gb drive is listed as sdb /sdb1 (the ssd drive being sda -sda1). The path to the VIDEO folder is: /media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO/  (the xxxx is my username).
I have tried running the command : get_iplayer --prefs-add --output "media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO" and I have also tried:
get_iplayer --prefs-add --output "sdb1/media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO"
But all that happens is that a folder will be created in my Home folder on the SSD called "sdb1"  if I use the command  which starts with sdb1 or a folder called "media" if I use the first command that starts with media. And inside them will be another folder with the download in. Any Ideas how I can get the download to end up on the 500gb drive?
Many thanks in advance.

user-1503

(16-01-2019, 04:19 PM)Hello.
I have been using get_iplayer for quite a few years. I am moving away from windows 10 to Linux Mint XFCE (19.1). And I have a minor problem. I have two hard drives on my system. Drive 1 is a 120gb SSD and hosts the operating system and drive 2 is a 500gb mechanical drive for storage. In the past I would set get_iplayer to save downloads to my VIDEO folder on the 500gb drive by running the command get_iplayer --prefs-add --output "D:\VIDEO" and it would be fine. Now in Linux Mint the 500gb drive is listed as sdb /sdb1 (the ssd drive being sda -sda1). The path to the VIDEO folder is: /media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO/  (the xxxx is my username).

You have to use a backslash at the beginning of the file path:
so it should be:
get_iplayer --prefs-add --output /media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO

Putting a "/" at the start tell the system to use the root (First level) of your system.
if you don't have that Backslash, the system assumes you want to use the current folder you're in as the start and then it creates the folders accordingly (as you've found out!) :D

user-2319

Thanks for your reply.
Did the back slash thing / . It now doesn't create the folder on the SSD anymore. But, in the terminal I get this error message:

INFO: Downloading tv: 'Great Canadian Railway Journeys: Series 1 - 02. Pictou to Prince Edward Island (b0c0bvkf) [original]'
ERROR: Cannot open (write): /media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO/Great_Canadian_Railway_Journeys_Series_1_-_02._Pictou_to_Prince_Edward_Island_b0c0bvkf_original.video.ts
I can write to this drive as torrent downloads get written to it.

user-1350

Can the user you're running get-iplayer as write to that specific directory? Try:

Code:
touch /media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO/test

: and report the result, please.

user-2319

Thanks for the reply
I put the command  "touch /media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO/test" (inserting the user name for xxxx) and it placed an empty text file in the VIDEO folder  on the 500g hard drive - named TEST

user-1350

And the output from this, please.

Code:
ls -la /media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO

user-2319

AN UPDATE.
The version of get-iplayer I was using was a SNAP PACKAGE. I have uninstalled this and installed the normal version that is shown in the download section on this site (Installed the PPA, Atomic Parsley and Get_iplayer .deb files) and it is now saving the downloads to the 500G drive. using the command get_iplayer --prefs-add --output /media/xxxx/500Gig/VIDEO. The problem is with install via SNAP
Many thanks.

user-2

With the snap you need to connect its "removable-media" interface in order to write under /media. It's not connected by default.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info