These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Episode numbers zero-padded to 2 digits

user-1496

"The episode number prepended to <episode> is now zero-padded to 2 digits. This is reflected in the default output file name format."

Why? This is a massive PITA as existing downloads are re-downloaded when doing a --force.

HV

user-109

Surely that is what --force is supposed to do?

From --longhelp:

Code:
--force     Ignore programme history

I suspect that you're always using --force, then relying on the fact that the download already exists in your output folder to prevent it from being downloaded again. Is that the case?

user-1496

The BBC have often upgraded the modes and quality of their programmes and I may have downloaded at an inferior mode, so I have --force on to update them to the current preference. A good example is the 50 vs 25fps situation.

I normally move my downloaded programmes from the download directory after around a month to six weeks. However, in this case, I still had the programmes in my download directory which had been downloaded under the old rules (no zero-padding). Had those rules still applied under 3.18 then a re-download would have skipped a download. As it was, it downloaded the zero-padded programmes to sit alongside the existing non-zero padded with no benefit to the quality. Why change a default that's been around for yonks?

HV

These forums are archived

See this post for further info