These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Subtitle file language suffix

user-1540

Just wondering if it is possible to configure subtitles file to have additional suffix for language.
Something like

FilmName.mp4
FilmName.eng.srt

Plex media server does not understand subtitle files without language option in filename.

user-2

Since you didn't provide a real example, there is no way to check your claim. To my knowledge, this only crops up when using date-based media file names with Plex, and the inclusion of the language code in the subtitles file name doesn't help in that case. If there are Plex users out there who know more about this, please chime in, but this sounds like an issue for the Plex forums.

You can bypass this entirely by embedding subtitles with --subtitles --subs-embed. Including the language code in the subtitle file name would do no harm, but it should not be necessary. It can identify the subtitles language in the media player UI, but as it stands English is the only language ever likely to appear in external iPlayer subtitles.

user-30

Plex wiki external subtitles naming requirements state inclusion of language code is needed:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/2004711...our-media/

Can't test it directly as I moved to Emby, which doesn't have that requirement:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

user-1496

"Plex media server does not understand subtitle files without language option in filename. "

I'm no expert on Plex but I have countless films with external subtitle files and all display subtitles perfectly in Plex. In all cases they are just .srt, NONE are .eng.srt. I've just played a number of TV programmes downloaded with GIP where I have also downloaded .srt files. I can confirm they all display subtitles correctly here when played back using Plex.

I know it doesn't solve your problem but it appears to contradict your statement that .eng.srt is a requirement. AAMOI where did you get that information?

Regards

HV

user-2

(13-11-2018, 04:14 PM)Plex wiki external subtitles naming requirements state inclusion of language code is needed:
Don't believe everything you read.

user-1540

I didn't say that Plex doesn't understand them.
Just it doesn't show them as English ones.
So I am looking if it possible during download set additional suffix.
If not for now I am happy as I have forced it to accept subtitles by default.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info